What tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrfishypants

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please reply What community fish would you put in a 20 gallon tank with a male and female cichild?

I've never kept cichlids but I'm guessing some kind of schooling fish like tetras.

Some kind of bigger schooling fish that the chichlids won't eat. What kind are they?

as george asked,what species of cihlids? in a 20,only dwarf cichlids and shell dwellers could have tankmates...and not many more could live comfortably in a 20 even by themselves

Yes what type of cichlids are you getting? Dwarf cichlids are the only ones you should put in it. I would probably go with 1 pair and a small school of something else. They will act as dither fish and allow your cichlids to chase them around. The school with have to be a fast and not fragile fish by the way. In my 35 gallon I got 6 gold barbs and 3 sterbai cories 1 sae 1 bnp and 2 kribs.
In my 29 gallon I had 2 kribs, 6 gold barbs, 2 sae. In a 20 I would probably use just the barbs and something to clean up. Maybe an otto

Hobgob said:
Yes what type of cichlids are you getting? Dwarf cichlids are the only ones you should put in it. I would probably go with 1 pair and a small school of something else. They will act as dither fish and allow your cichlids to chase them around. The school with have to be a fast and not fragile fish by the way. In my 35 gallon I got 6 gold barbs and 3 sterbai cories 1 sae 1 bnp and 2 kribs.
In my 29 gallon I had 2 kribs, 6 gold barbs, 2 sae. In a 20 I would probably use just the barbs and something to clean up. Maybe an otto

Hi sorry. To be dumb what is a sae?,bnp?,kribs?,and an otto?

Hi sorry. To be dumb what is a sae?,bnp?,kribs?,and an otto?
an sae is a siamese algae eater,a bnp is a bristlenose pleco,kribs are kribensis(a species of dwarf cichlid) and ottos are ottocinlus(a small algae eating catfish). all but the kribs eat algae,sae's eat hair algae and the other two eat primarily green algae. all but the ottos will normally eat prepared food

The kribs seem to nibble on algae. The male will grab an algae wafer and take it for himself sometimes lol it's kinda funny.

I think a rainbow shark gets too big for a twenty gallon...
your right,they need at least a 55

edit: just realized the person who said they have a shark with there angel isnt the op,so they might have a big enough tank

Everyone's telling me to get a née tank now but will they do fine tell I get a bigger tank they seem to all love each other

Also did you cycle your fish tank like nitrogen cycle or just set the tank up for a couple of days? Also what do you have in the tank right now? Is it just the cichlids? Also we need to know what type of cichlids they are...

Back
Top Bottom