What the minimum number of demasoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydesilva

Aquarium Advice Activist
What the minimum number of demasoni i can keep in a 40g,I was thinking just 1 but if not that what's the minimum number of demasoni

What the minimum number of demasoni i can keep in a 40g,I was thinking just 1 but if not that what's the minimum number of demasoni

Well I have 4 in my 30gal because from my understanding you can't have just one or it will bug other fish, two of em and one will kill the other, three the same, around 4-5 is a good number they'll stick together too.

Do they get along alright?

Did you get them together?

Is there any aggression?

Sorry for all the questions just doing some research :)

Do they get along alright?

Did you get them together?

Is there any aggression?

Sorry for all the questions just doing some research :)

No no, that's what the forum is for, I ask an assload of questions too I've been there,

Anyways, yes I got em all from a local breeder from the same mother, and there's no aggression amongst them, there pretty happy together, they're a great colorful fish and when acclimated young, they grow up well with others, like my labs and zebras, cobalts and hongi, etc.

No no, that's what the forum is for, I ask an assload of questions too I've been there,

Anyways, yes I got em all from a local breeder from the same mother, and there's no aggression amongst them, there pretty happy together, they're a great colorful fish and when acclimated young, they grow up well with others, like my labs and zebras, cobalts and hongi, etc.

Awesome, I might get 4-5 then, do you have any experience with maingano??

Most people will say around 12, but for your size tank that would be all you could have. When they are little aggression isn't terrible, but if they start spawning the aggression goes up. I have two that are breeding that are about 2 inches. They have already started to chase others more often.

It greatly depends on the genders of the demasoni's when dealing with a small group (as well as their maturity).

My 125gal wasn't big enough to maintain 5 demasoni's which contained about dozen other mbunas of other species. The five demasoni's were comprised a fully grown 4" male (which is about as large as big males get), a 3" male and three 2"-2.5" females. The larger male would focus all of his effort on killing the other male and both males were hostile toward the females.

This group of demasoni's was eventually relocated to a smaller tank (a 75gal) with more demasoni's (two dozen plus) with a near equal gender ratio. Larger groups provide protection and they were easier to manage in this set up.

However for the last 3 or 4 years I've been able to keep a trio of demasoni's in another tank (1m/2f) without any issues. The females bicker among themselves but nothing serious and the a male is very mellow.

The two females often mouthbrood simultaneously. I haven't moved them back to my main demasoni colony because I find it easier to net a holding female from a tank that only containing two female demasoni's than from a tank with nearly 30 in a tank (very hard for me to net the right demasoni with so many in the tank). The trio is my primary breeding group for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom