What to do, what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am in a big debate as to what to put in my 55g. I was having aggression issues with my school of tiger barbs, so I temporarily moved them. I have two choices. I can either reintroduce the tigers and hope all goes well, or I might be able to do a SA Cichlid setup. What cichlids would go well in my 55 with 7 clown loaches, 2 dojos, and a rubberlip pleco (and yes, I know the clowns will outgrow the tank, I already have plans for that once they get big enough)?

I like firemouths. Severums, texas, kribs, and most other common" cichlids are available in my area.

Any suggestions (cichlids or otherwise) are welcome. (keep in mind that the tank will be upgraded to a 150 or larger once the clown loaches get big enough, they are all less than 4" right now)

I like firemouths, and kribs. Might also check into Apistos and Bolivians, if you want to go a little less aggressive.

could i put firemouths and kribs together with my current stock (minus the barbs, i would assume...unless you say different)

I would say one or the other, not together. But if someone else knows more, please chime in. I've never actually had either one.

Firemouths will become much too aggressive for the kribs (which are actually African). A better choice would severums.

I did not know that kribs were african, wow.

Severums over firemouths, or over kribs?

I really like the firemouths, and the more I think about it, the more excited i get about having them :D (these would be my first cichlids other than my GBRs and angel)

Also, what is the m:f ratio I need? Can I keep more than one male together if i cannot find any females? How many total would be able to live together in my tank with my current stock? (i know nothing about stocking cichlids, so really need some pointers here)

ok, so i am going to the lfs in the morning. I have decided to go with firemouths, just need to know what I need to get. How many males to females should i get (1m:2f, or what), and how many total should I get? Can I keep more than one male together, if there are no females present? how many males can i keep together?

any help is appreciated, i am going to the lfs in the morning, and cannot find the information elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom