What to feed Malawi Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have about 15 yellow labs in a 70g tank. I normally feed pellets, and keep a chunk of celery in the tank that they pick off, they'll steal a shrimp pellet from the crabs every so often. I have heard that variety is beeter, so I'm looking for some other ideas. Does what I'm feeding so far sound healthy?

Thanks,

-J

A spirulina-based pellet or flake would be a great addition to their diet (I highly recommend the Omega-One Super Veggie Flakes). Carotene-based foods will help maintain their brilliant, yellow coloration.

If they like the celery- you could try other vegetables, as well: squash, zuchini, etc. Although they aren't strict vegetarians like the other mbuna- they do need a fair bit of vegetable matter in their diets for them to remain healthy.

And also, though they're not strict veggies as far as M'bunas go, you should be aware of feeding them too much protein. A shrimp-heavy or worm-heavy diet will lead to Malawi Bloat, a nasty intestinal blockage that is the result of the inability of M'bunas to digest certain animal proteins. Just something to keep in mind!

Otherwise, your choices sound good, and I like the suggestions VoodooChili has laid out.

I feed my mbuna spirulina flakes mostly, supplemented with freeze-dried bloodworms every couple of weeks, they also like algae discs and lettuce. I plan on buying a brine shrimp kit soon, I heard it's great food for their color.

BTW, overfeeding in general will lead to malawi Bloat. They have extremely long intestinal tracts to get the most nutrition out of the tiny crustaceans they eat in the wild. I would do like I do and not feed them once or twice a week. If they are constantly pooping or if long strands of poop are coming out of the fish they are being overfed.

Back
Top Bottom