What to feed Tiger oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What should I feed my tiger Oscar?? He always seem hungry

The best diet would consist of a good pellet food source, as well as a frozen shrip/worms (once or twice a week). Crickets are another great food source as well. But they are very messy.

How old/how big is it? Oscars can enjoy a wide variety of foods. Pellets of course are great. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, beefheart, shrimp pellets, live crickets or earthworms... they'll eat just about anything. I shy away from pet store feeder fish for a host of reasons, though. Also, in my experience, they will almost always "act" like they are hungry, so just make sure that whatever you feed them to give appropriate amounts. If yours is still a juvenile, they can and will consume quite a bit; after all, they grow rather quickly for the first year. Use common sense with the amounts and the more variety the better. Good luck!

I agree with both of those^. My favorite pellet is hikari gold and is well liked by most cichlid enthusiasts.

Ok thank you and he is still a juvenile. Will he be good with other fish or just keep him alone

Is he in the 55 gallon? If so leave him alone because he will like kill anything added to it. He also is IMO the smallest tank he should be in and will end up being fine in a 55 gallon for life, but a 75 will be better. Unless he is in a 125gal+ there really aret many tank mate options. Sorry

A 55 (or better, 75) may be suitable for a juvenile, but in a year or so it will be too big for a 55, so should be moved to a more suitable tank, like a 120

HUKIT said:
Well if you say so then it must be true.

Ide rather not get into this right now. This is one of the most disputed topics about tiger oscars. Yeah a 55 is not ideal for an oscar but it can work if you do sufficient water changes and dont overfeed. 1 and only 1 fish can be in the tank and that is the oscar. NO exceptions. Its really all opinion. I personally would return the oscar and get maybe a dempsey pair or some other cichlids for it because it is not the ideal home for an O.

The ~outside~ dimensions of a 55 gallon aquarium are 48.25" x 12.75" x 21." A Tiger Oscar grows to 12"-14" as an adult. Unless one plans to reach in and lift the fish out to rotate it every time it wants to turn around, a 55 will not be big enough to home a full-grown Tiger Oscar.

i have to agree i had my 2 oscars in a 55 a juvies (planed on a 125 as they grew up) but as they get larger there are deffinatly space issues even if you keep on top of water quality they will get territorial with anything in there even when small and when they get bigger they cant turn around... after the alpha in my tank killed his tank mate i came to the realiseation that keeping an oscar even a juvie in a 55 gal is almost as humane as if you drained it and put a cat in there and if you have ever picked up an adult oscar you know they weigh about the same hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha yeah thats why i said get a JD pair and take it bak if you want no hassle

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom