What to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to add some more blue to my tank. I currently have 2 aulonocara, 1 fryeri, 2 itungi lethrinops, and 2 pundamilia nyerie, Iand 2 yellow labs. I have 2 demasoni, and am thinking about adding 6 more, that would do it, but I am worried about investing in them when they are know for killing each other. I read that a large group of 8 will decrease conspecific aggression. I also have the fryeri, so there is blue, I guess I'm hoping someone will call out one I haven't heard of.

Basically I'm looking for a blue colored cichlid that will be peaceful.

I'm looking to add some more blue to my tank. I currently have 2 aulonocara, 1 fryeri, 2 itungi lethrinops, and 2 pundamilia nyerie, Iand 2 yellow labs. I have 2 demasoni, and am thinking about adding 6 more, that would do it, but I am worried about investing in them when they are know for killing each other. I read that a large group of 8 will decrease conspecific aggression. I also have the fryeri, so there is blue, I guess I'm hoping someone will call out one I haven't heard of.

Basically I'm looking for a blue colored cichlid that will be peaceful.

Peacefull? I would add 6-7 more demasoni and call it done. They should be stocked in higher numbers. With your size tank ( 55 gallon I think) i see big problems in the future. pundamilia nyerie can be pretty rude along with demasoni.

Thanks all, ya I'm still learning, and changing, tank is a 55 yes, I added a few more demasoni, now have 8 total 3 m 5 f. And it made a big difference in their behavior.
I expect I'll do a few more trades/sells before it's complete. I will keep an eye I the pundi's for sure, I'd get them their own tank if I have too, they're my favorite. I really like the hap. Suggestion from the first comment. I'll keep him in mind.

Thanks all, ya I'm still learning, and changing, tank is a 55 yes, I added a few more demasoni, now have 8 total 3 m 5 f. And it made a big difference in their behavior.
I expect I'll do a few more trades/sells before it's complete. I will keep an eye I the pundi's for sure, I'd get them their own tank if I have too, they're my favorite. I really like the hap. Suggestion from the first comment. I'll keep him in mind.

The Nyererei's will most likely kill peacocks & haps, they are highly aggressive & territorial. To be honest they are going to run that 55. I'd get him lots of females to keep him busy.

The Nyererei's will most likely kill peacocks & haps, they are highly aggressive & territorial. To be honest they are going to run that 55. I'd get him lots of females to keep him busy.

Jess is right I had to get a 6ft tank after having my juvi nyerereis for 3 1/2 mths as the male was very very very territorial and was fighting with even my yellow labs several times a day

You could try Pundimilia sp. blue bar hippo point for some blue but That could possibly strike a nerve in your Nyererei. It's gonna be hard to stock around them in that size tank.

you need more demasoni anyways they should be in groups of 12+ but i know you cant do that with your tank size and the fish you have so maybe 6-8 more

I added some, so I have 8 total now, it definitely helped with the conspecific aggression, I think I might change things up again though, I have two favorites my itungi lethrinops, and my lake Victoria's. so I may need to figure something else out to keep them happy. So far it's working out.

I added some, so I have 8 total now, it definitely helped with the conspecific aggression, I think I might change things up again though, I have two favorites my itungi lethrinops, and my lake Victoria's. so I may need to figure something else out to keep them happy. So far it's working out.

Good luck even my 6ft tank hasnt cut my poblems out .. Its no where.near as bad but i have 2 vic males 1 nyererei n 1 chromogyno n they locked lips 4 times yesterday in 10mins which usually doesnt happen mostly just chasing bc they both think they are greatest biggest badest in the tank .. lol i can so see them halfing the tank

Good luck even my 6ft tank hasnt cut my poblems out .. Its no where.near as bad but i have 2 vic males 1 nyererei n 1 chromogyno n they locked lips 4 times yesterday in 10mins which usually doesnt happen mostly just chasing bc they both think they are greatest biggest badest in the tank .. lol i can so see them halfing the tank

Baby boy is growing up & making me proud :D

If you wanna keep your Vic's with Mbuna I urge you to upgrade, your stocking options open up tremendously if you can get a bigger tank. You could do Kenyi, Dimidiochromis Compressiceps & lots of others to get the color combo your looking for, depending how big you can go. I keep Pretty much a species only of Nyererei fry in a 55 and I still find them beating other fish to death at only 2 inches. Good luck!

Last edited:
So far my pundi's are only 2" not showing a lot of color. The guy at my LFS, said that the variety of Nyereie I have are not as aggressive, in the tank the Itungi and Peacocks are dominate over them. I just added som F1 Maylandi suloher heads which are fitting in nicely, right now I am considering trading for some cynotilapia cobwe. How would they fair with my peacocks, hap, electric yellows, demasoni, and itungi?

Not helpful

I've actually tried to be quite helpful in previous posts, you choose not to take in any of the info given. P. Nyererei "Ruti Island" is very aggressive, a peacock will not be his dominant. The Dems can probably deal with his harassment. Cynotilapia Cobue is STILL an Afra in which Andrew has already said probably wouldn't be a good idea. You can stock your tank how you want, but you really choose not to heed warnings so It is what it is really.

Ok, we'll I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at my expense, I was asking ab trading the Pundi's for cyno's... If they would have problems with the other tank mates. But you know I am over it. I have been in the hobby for about 4 months now. Came into it with no knowledge. And have learned a ton, but I don't know everything so I come here for ADVICE! Since your such a ****ing expert. But I guess asking questions to things I don't know about is laughable, so excuse me...sorry for asking questions... Dick.

Back
Top Bottom