What to put in 60 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about buying a 60 gallon tank and putting in it:

1 tiger oscar
2 jack Dempsey
2 black convicts.

I think it's over crowded even though it's under the inch of fish per gallon rule. I haven't bought the tank and I would really like a second opinion. Thx

Should be fine I typically only use the inche per gallon rule just gotta watch the temperament of 2 jacks and an oscar...I have a 55 with an oscar green Texas feather fin cat and an endilriche pup yetis and all has been good for over a year now

If this is the 48 x 12 inch 60 gallon you can do either 1 oscar or 1 jack or the 2 cons with some other small sa/ca. But the oscar or jack will claim the whole tank.

Mike is right. Jacks can be mean. Oscars can get +12". And they might not even reach full size in a tank that size together. If you get a male and female Con they will both terrorize the rest of the tank if they decide to pair. You could do a pair of Jacks together. Or a pair of Electric blue Jacks together.

Thanks for the input guys. Now, I have an off topic question. I own two opaline gourami's who share a tank with some barbs. Unfortunately those opaline are so shy I never see them. They hide behind the filter. I've bought them a log and a live plant (Java fern) which is still really small. Any ideas on what to do? More plant cover? Spend more time with them? Thx

I had a really bad experience with a jack and my oscar, the jack was way to aggressive and i had to take him out, he would rip my oscar apart. So i dont recommend jacks, but blood parrots and convicts, bolivian rams are nice to have, and my oscar and parrot get along great.
Hope this helps:)

How big is the tank that they share? And how many barbs are there and how many gourmis? How long have you had them?

Let's see, it's a 20 gallon tall tank, 2 green tigers, 2 tigers, and 2 Rosies. There are 2 opaline and I have had them for 2.5 months

That is probably just there little territory, they are probably just hiding from the tigers, more hiding places, caves, logs, plants etc, they are mosty likley just scared of they other fish with no place to hid.

Ok haha, tiger barbs are fin nippers, they are proably just hiding from them, well i have anubius and moneywort, and some swords, the anubius is a beautiful plant lot of leaves and good under low any light

Attachments

• 1394510697404.jpg
    1394510697404.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 57
Beautiful plant, does it grow tall, my tank stands taller then it is wide. Also where did u pick it up. As far as I know my local store doesn't have any.

It can get about a foot tall i think, moneywort do, i got them at a local petstore, here are some of my other plants the skinny ones grow really fast and tall and so do swords

Attachments

• 1394511072167.jpg
    1394511072167.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 60
Thanks those plants look so healthy, is there anything special you give them?

Yes its called "flourish" by seachem, its a supplement that helps them grow big and healthy, i recommend it

Back
Top Bottom