What was your first ever cichlid?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
My first cichlids were a pair of convicts I got at my LFS several years back. Kohn and Calypso.??
To my surprise they also had babies❤️~a lot of babies. My first cichlid experience Is something I'll never forget!

What about your?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine was a yellow lab. Kinda boring.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi that died within a week due to low quality stock. The LFS also told me they were apisto species and I didn't know better at the time

Apisto, still have them almost a year later, they cycled my first 2 tanks :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm on my first cichlid tank right now! A jack Dempsey, a jewel, 3 convicts (one being female) and currently paired off in their little cave and probably spawning in the next few days. :) love it so far!

It was a tie: Oscars and Angelfish. My mentor sent me home with 2 tanks to set up and then later gave me both Red Tiger & Red Oscars and Silver Angelfish babies to grow out and learn about. The lessons were learned ;) :D

Many years ago, I had Angelfish that I kept with Blue Gourami, and a pair of Jack Dempsey (in another tank). Unfortunately the JDs were males and didn't want to share a 29 gallon tank, so two became one.

A Firemouth the first time I was in the hobby, but a couple of Keyholes this time. I've still got the one, from nearly three years ago.

My first was a apistogramma brietbinden (now piaroa) when my dad determined I was ready to graduate from guppies lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My first was a pair of silver angelfish. Beautiful fish and they were big too.

A small cobalt blue and a red zebra

My first was a apistogramma brietbinden (now piaroa) when my dad determined I was ready to graduate from guppies lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm surprised by the age of three your dad didn't determine that you were ready to breed Discus ;) lol!

Back
Top Bottom