What would be a compatible clean up crew for an mbuna cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are there any compatible scavengers for my 55gal? I've heard mixed things. Guy at petsmart tried to sell me a catfish that would reach a foot in length and I told him why that was a bad idea. Haven't had an opportunity to make it out to my LFS.

So what would work?

I think the best clean up crew for your fish tank would be yourself. There is no fish that eats other fishes waste. You could get an algae eating pleco if you like, but they create lots of waste as they get bigger. IMO I'd just forget about the clean up fish and clean it up by water changes.

I think the best clean up crew for your fish tank would be yourself. There is no fish that eats other fishes waste. You could get an algae eating pleco if you like, but they create lots of waste as they get bigger. IMO I'd just forget about the clean up fish and clean it up by water changes.

This isn't my first tank. I know africans are messy. I know how to properly maintain my tank, but my mbuna typically don't eat off the ground so any food that falls to the bottom has to wait for my weekly vacuuming. I do PWCs every other day. My readings are 0 across the board and the tank is fully cycled.

Think it would add some flavor with some scavengers and they'd help with the food on the bottom.

Petricola are social fish, much happier/more active in groups. If you want a single Synodontis for the tank a eupterus would work, though they grow to about 7-8". Red tail botias are also tough enough to hold their own w/mbuna, but they're also social fish.

Clown Loaches are good at cleaning up and are often used with mbunas. It will be a long time before they out grow a 55gal.

I have a lone S. eupterus in my tank he does a good job. I also have 2 bristlenose in there too and they keep the algae at bay.

I don't know the scientific name for it, but pictus catfish. there are 3 at the lfs i go to that i can't stop watching! constantly chasing each other through the rocks...

clown loaches are the only thing pretty enough that my boyfriend says he would ever put in with his mbunas.

Back
Top Bottom