what would be good tankmates for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be good tankmates for an oscar and firemouth cichlids? The oscar is currently only around 4inches.

Right now they are only in a 20g long (I know, I know). I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a 75g or a 90g (trying to talk the wife into bigger). That's why I'm wanting to know what tankmates I can stick in with them, for future reference.

Right now they are only in a 20g long (I know, I know). I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a 75g or a 90g (trying to talk the wife into bigger). That's why I'm wanting to know what tankmates I can stick in with them, for future reference.

75g is the minimum for an Oscar so not sure if you could put much more in there with it. Butif it's a 90g I think Blood Parrots, Rainbow Cichlids, Convicts could be possibilities.

You could get away with 1 Oscar and 1 firemouth in a 75 gallon with great filtration and a good maintenance schedule

First off, I'd recommend the 90 gal over the 75, since you're looking at the same footprint and the extra 15 gallons is always a good idea with cichlids.

For the stock list, I personally find the idea of an Oscar and firemouth to be very boring pair. I love my Oscar, but he's a sacrifice when it comes to tank space. With a 75/90, he will completely dominate the tank and leave you with little else.

For anything under 125, I think your better off dumping the oscar and going with mid-sized cichlids (anything under 8 inches or so). There are so many options in both the CA and SA. You could keep the firemouth and work from there.

Man that kinda blows lol. The oscar is my daughters so I'm not sure getting rid of it would be an option. I can always try I guess.

aaronjohn20 said:
Man that kinda blows lol. The oscar is my daughters so I'm not sure getting rid of it would be an option. I can always try I guess.

Well that always complicates things. I'd start thinking about that second tank!

I moved my Oscar from my 65 to my 180 and he still holds me back from getting more fish. I've had another member on here trying to convince me to dump the Oscar too.

If I set up another tank then that would be tank #4 lol. I've got a 46g bow front community tank, the tank the oscar is in now, and a soon to be 10g birthing/fry tank. Like I said before, I am gonna upgrade the 20 long to something much bigger so the 20g will prob be comeing down when the new tank goes up. I think the wife would kill me!

Well I woke up today to my fire mouth dead :-( Not quite sure why yet. He had been mouthing for air (or whatever u wanna call it) and I knew it wasn't normal and was worried about it. Guess I was right to be worried. That was a $9.99 fish. My one daughter asked if I was going to get another one. I told her I will only try an expensive fish once

You can't really look at it that way. Actually, though, that's not even an expensive fish. ;)

Once you get more experience under your belt and really know what the species you keep require, then chances of you losing them like this really minimize.

As for the tankmate suggestions, please do not consider blood parrots once you have a larger tank. They must be kept with more peaceful species as they have no way of defending themselves.

I wasn't even considering blood parrots truthfully. Aren't they hybrids, and can't fully close their mouth and the males are sterile?

Yes, yes and yes, but what's your point? ;)

I adore mine. They are like puppy dogs in a fish tank. I have 3 and my husband fell in love with mine and now he has 3. Hybrid is not exactly a 4-letter word. My dogs are mutts and so are my fish.

Your right, it is. Nothing against you, just so you know. I hope I didn't come off sounding like a butthole. If I did, I'm sorry, didn't mean it like that.

aaronjohn20 said:
Your right, it is. Nothing against you, just so you know. I hope I didn't come off sounding like a butthole. If I did, I'm sorry, didn't mean it like that.

So you wouldn't use a mule? Lol sorry but ya they are beautiful fish. You could just do a cichlids tank. There are lots of option with that size. But the Oscar...

Here's the best idea. Get a 100g for the Oscar and then a 125 cichlid tank. Discus would be nice lol

aaronjohn20 said:
Well I woke up today to my fire mouth dead :-( Not quite sure why yet. He had been mouthing for air (or whatever u wanna call it) and I knew it wasn't normal and was worried about it. Guess I was right to be worried. That was a $9.99 fish. My one daughter asked if I was going to get another one. I told her I will only try an expensive fish once

$10 is a cheap fish. I wouldn't think of doing Africans in the future then, you'd be looking at $100's to stock a tank.

I agree with not doing parrots. IMHO they are some of the ugliest fish out there.

$10 ain't so cheap now a days, especially since the fish only lasted 3, 4 days tops plus with haveing 3 kids and a stay at home wife lol

Back
Top Bottom