What would you add to this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Getting ready to move everyone back into the 75 gallon after resealing the cross-brace. Current occupants will be:

2 juvenile discus (3.5-4")
1 angel fish
2 clown loaches (4.5")
1 clown pleco
1 sailfin pleco? (inherited from co-worker, only 5" long)
2 balloon mollys
2 platys
1 black neon tetra
2 unknown tetra (just like the black neon but with a red strip)
4 harlequin raspbora
3 bettas (1m/2f)
1 gold gourami
8 dwarf neon rainbows (5m/3f)
2 white clouds
1 kissing gourami
1 dojo loach
2 corys

I'd like some bright color, so I was thinking of getting the platys a few females or maybe some male guppies? Or should I get more of the schooling fish? Just dreaming...

I'm not an expert, but I think the discus need much higher temps than the rest of the fish in there.. like 84* F
Aside from that it looks like a pretty nice community you've got going there... I'm a fan of big school's of smaller fish but that's just my opinion.

The tank is kept 82-84 degrees. No problems so far, even with the lower temp fish. This is my "learning tank" so the combination of fish and equipment is a result of my learning curve. :)

I don't think the guppies would be a good idea, they might get picked on by the Angels, or the discus, but I guess if these weren't bothering your Betta then you might be OK. Sounds like you've got a lot of fish already, but I would agree with frieked and get more of something you have 1 or 2 of so they will be happier and school together. Alternatively, your LFS might be willing to take back a few of your "orphan" fish and that would open up some room for you to get a nice school of something. Serpae tetras are nice and colorful and will get along with most anything.

Personally, I would greatly increase the number of cories and also increase the number of white clouds.
You need to ask yourself if you are happy with what's in there. If there's not enough color, then newfound77951 has a good idea--take the ones you're not crazy about to a LFS. That's easier than it sounds, since not all LFS will do that. When I needed to give up some fish, I went through my local Aquarium Society. I wanted my fish to get good homes and that worked out great.

I'd probably remove the male betta. Would be afraid even in a 75gal tank he'd find & harrass/kill the females. The girls are less likely to be nipped since they don't have long fins.

Also check your filter & make sure it won't be to much for them since they will need access to the top.

Back
Top Bottom