What's more aggressive? JD? or Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got both and right now it seems to me like the JD is much more agressive. These are my first cichlids and I've got them in a 55 gallon. I'm thinking of moving one to my 125 but I'm worried that both will eat my tetra's! I've also got a BGK, two Bala Sharks, two clown loaches, 10 black skirt tetra's two dwarf gourami, upside down catfish and four blue rams. Am i just asking for trouble? Oh and one lonely platy.

You have all of these fish in the same tank? Or the cichlids in a 55 and the other stuff in the 125? It will definitely become an issue as they get bigger. I don't think that JD's are particularly more aggressive than oscars, but oscars definitely get much larger.

I've never tried to keep the two together. I would avoid moving them to a community tank, they don't go well with small fish unless you plan to use them as feeders.

I'd say a JD. I think Oscars are way overrated for aggression. I went to a fish store once and they had a 10" oscar in with adult convicts. The cons had fry and were constantly beating up the oscar. I told the guy there and he moved it. Thats not the point but, JDs only get about 10" and an oscar can get upwards of 14". I'm pretty sure if an O and JD of the same size fought the JD would win.

I've got all the fish listed in my 125. I can move the smaller fish to a 20L. I'm mainly concerned that if I move my Oscar to the 125 would he kill the black skirts about an inch long, the Bala sharks, clown loaches, upside down catfish, and angel. The neons and rams would go into my 20. The JD would stay in the 55 unless you think the JD would be better suited in the 125 with the remaining fish I listed in the tank. Sorry if I'm confusing.

KonvictKeeper said:
I'd say a JD. I think Oscars are way overrated for aggression. I went to a fish store once and they had a 10" oscar in with adult convicts. The cons had fry and were constantly beating up the oscar. I told the guy there and he moved it. Thats not the point but, JDs only get about 10" and an oscar can get upwards of 14". I'm pretty sure if an O and JD of the same size fought the JD would win.

I mainly meant towards other fish.

Jd is aggressive than the oscar, move the oscar to the 125. If he is smaller than the other fish no problem if he is bigger take a look how it,s going

Its a disaster in the making, big cichlids like Oscars simply don't work with small community fish. Everything will be fine then before you know it all the tetras are missing, it's just a matter of time.

It,s not always Treu that the oscar eat the other fish only when they fit in there mouth. It should be no problem with the bala give it a try and see wat fit the best.

Aslong the little fish can hide them self it shouldn, t be a problem. I had a oscar with cichild the cichlids were smaller than the oscar I had no problem. But Oscar died. Of bloat.

Oke this is my tank mix 2 jack Dempsey, 1 yello fish, 1 pecock, 2 kenyi 1 bumblebee 2 big algee 2 corri . 1 electric bleu kenyi 1 ealy. And tommorow 1 electric bleu jack dempsey. 1 dempsey is the biggest out of the tank I have no problems. With them.

I'm going to put him in and see what happens. Right now the loaches are a little bit smaller than the oscar but I think they'll be ok. The bala sharks are much bigger than the oscar but won't be for long I'm sure. There's also a BGK in there but he dwarfs the oscar and he doesn't mess with any of my other fish.

I think they do wel keep a eye on them how they react. Clown loach wil be fine I,m sure. As long there is now havy fight it,s ok zit for 25 min let me now if it's going good like to know

So jd is with the tetra in the 10 galon or in the 125. As long jd doint atack your neon,s how big is your jd you can see me on you tube look up for brandyn9111 29 galon tank yes I know it's to small but they go to a 90 galon tank soon

No. Dont put an OSCAR with community fish!! He will eat every tetra, and anything his mouth can even come close to fitting around! No! It doesnt matter how big it is, there was a thread about a 2" oscar with an adult molly in its mouth! Sorry that wont work at all. Same goes for the JD, of course

No. Dont put an OSCAR with community fish!! He will eat every tetra, and anything his mouth can even come close to fitting around! No! It doesnt matter how big it is, there was a thread about a 2" oscar with an adult molly in its mouth! Sorry that wont work at all. Same goes for the JD, of course

I'm removing the tetra's and smaller fish leaving only the bala sharks, loaches, and upside down catfish.

Jnthn932 said:
I'm removing the tetra's and smaller fish leaving only the bala sharks, loaches, and upside down catfish.

Whew good. Where is the jd going? How big is the oscar? With a big oscar, it can still eat tankmates

Back
Top Bottom