What's the best filtration system for a 40 gallon cichlids tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help my tank won't stay crystal clear. All water levels are good. It may be over crowded but thy all get along well. I have an aqua clear 50 gallon in it and I notice it's not clear after two days. I have two parrots, 1 albino, 1 blue thing, 2 purple cichlids and just added jack Dempsey as he was bullying the fish he was tanked with before.. So what's he best option on filtration?!? Or crystal water tips?

Definitely canister. Your tank sounds overstocked is take out the jack Dempsey

Ya we aren't sure what to do with the Dempsey. It can't go in any other tank we have :( May have to trade him in... I'll look into a canister. Thank u

Def a canister. That's all of big fish eventually for a semi small tank. Add lots of filtration like a Rena filstar xp-l of fluval 406. Cascade 1200 or 1500 are good too.

I;d put either 2 aquaclear 70's or a single 110 om the tank, ID the purple cichlids, and they'll likely have to go along with the JD. Only fish that color I know of are African mbuna, and they'll trash the parrots.

When it comes to cichlids the more filtration the better. On my 85 I run 2 canister filters and 1 hang on the back filter rated at 110 gallons each

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are "1 albino, 2 blue thing, and 2 purple things"? What these fish are can effect what is happening to your water.

I cannot remember what the name is of those cichlids.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389626349.581680.jpg

The blue one

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389626373.264288.jpg

Purple

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389626420.056372.jpg

Albino. Hard to photo him he's so fast

Found an amazing filter. Did water change three days ago and I can still see through it!! Longer then usual. Very happy with this.

Can't tell what the blue one is, but the second pic looks like a ruby red peacock male above some species of mbuna, the albino is almost certainly an albino zebra.

Can't tell what the blue one is, but the second pic looks like a ruby red peacock male above some species of mbuna, the albino is almost certainly an albino zebra.

The blue (according to lfs is a female blue lump head ) but thanks for the Id on the others!!

Run and nice canister and a hob. An eheim 2217 and an ac70

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes pretty much canisters are the best but I wouldn't get rid if the filter you have already keep it just add a nice canister and pretty soon you will have crystal clear water

Aquaclear 110 would be good, I have it on mine and it has cleared tannis, and other impurities well

Was thinking that found sale for it. But my friends going to give me a canister for a 120 gal or something for cheaper then the aqua clear 110..

Back
Top Bottom