What's The Best Looking Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well the ugliest thread is fun so how about another one regarding the best looking cichlid.

Rules.
1. No Hybrids, I don't consider them cichlids.
2. No criticizing everyone's choices.
3. Must use scientific name.
4. Must post a picture of your choice.

Mine of course is the Excichlasoma festae, I'm sorry but all cichlids swimming pale in her comparison.

c_festae.jpg

HUKIT said:
Mine of course is the Excichlasoma festae, I'm sorry but all cichlids swimming pale in her comparison.

+1 thread ended lol

HUKIT said:
Well the ugliest thread is fun so how about another one regarding the best looking cichlid.

Rules.
1. No Hybrids, I don't consider them cichlids.
2. No criticizing everyone's choices.
3. Must use scientific name.
4. Must post a picture of your choice.

That is a nice fish thanks for opening my eyes again Hukit lol. I don't really have one or simply can't pick so maybe ill be able to choose before this gets closed. ;)

Simply stunning!! I dare someone to post a pic after that one lol.

I'm just gonna stay outta this one lol.

Auloncara maylandi
I had one, but sadly it passed away.
Great looking fish Hukit
it may not be the most colorful fish, But its my favorite.

Attachments

• image-2607789202.jpg
    image-2607789202.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 8,593
I dare post a picture, even though it is not quite as cool looking as HUKIT's.

Here is Aequidens rivulatus!

Attachments

• GreenTerror.jpg
    GreenTerror.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 576
Andrew McFadden said:
Aulonocara baenschi he is only like 2-3" but is very bright colored then my other male of the same size.

Wow almost hurts to look at lol

Ok ok I couldn't just pick one :) this is my other favorite. Other then the one Hukit shared.
52693-albums2955-picture41394.jpg

Cynotilapia Afra Afra Cobue Orange Back

He isn't even showing off here but I love it when he does.

You could also throw Vieja synspilum onto the list. I'm sorry old word guys I don't think you stand a chance again. Here is one a Mo Devlins fish, for anyone who is not familiar with Mo's work should visit some of his sites. He post on some of the bigger sites in threads titled "Today in the fishroom".

www.aquamojo.com | Aquamojo

HUKIT said:
You could also throw Vieja synspilum onto the list. I'm sorry old work guys I don't think you stand a chance. Here is one a Mo Devlins fish, for anyone who is not familiar with Mo's work should visit some of his sites. He post on some of the bigger sites in threads titled "Today in the fishroom".

http://www.aquamojo.com/sysnspilum/synspilum-501.jpg

Really nice rainbow color. We show you all the respect in the world and this is how you pay us? Not cool

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Ok, so here's my old world choice:
Pundamilia nyererei Ruti Island
[/FONT]
pundam10.jpg

Favorite New World:
Heterotilapia multispinosa
images

*Neither pictures are mine nor do I claim them to be :)

Hahaha no offense HUKIT, but i almost posted synspilium into the ugliest category, I have never been a huge fan of them for some odd reason, can't quite put my finger on it

Zebra Obliquidens, Astatotilapia latifascata. Not my picture, but I hope mine grows into him. Mine is Bly 1.5-2" currently.

image-3752801142.jpg

archocentrus makes much more sense then heterotilapia, glad it got reclassified, but i'm sure it will get reclassified again soon lol

You could also throw Vieja synspilum onto the list. I'm sorry old word guys I don't think you stand a chance again. Here is one a Mo Devlins fish, for anyone who is not familiar with Mo's work should visit some of his sites. He post on some of the bigger sites in threads titled "Today in the fishroom".

+1 Wish I had a decent camera, my redhead is 12" of gorgeous (the fish, unfortunately, not the wife :brows:). Another is the cupid cichlid Biotodoma cupido. I've never seen a pic that does justice to the rainbow iridiscence this fish gets on its sides when kept in good conditions.

And I hafta disagree that us Old World guys don't stand a chance. The bluish-lavender with the orange fins and rostral blaze on a dominant male Pseudotropheus cf. perspicax "orange cap" ranks up with any New World cichlid. The yellow-orange on electric blue of an Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Otter Point" does as well. Actually have a male OB fuelleborni I'd throw into the mix, too. The contrasting red and green of a Haplochromis sp. "ruby green", anybody? How 'bout Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango red fin"? Nanochromis transvestitus? There's a lotta Africans that compete with the New World guys, just a matter of perspective. :) Like I said, wish I had a decent camera, and more important still, had learned how to take optimal pics with it. :(

BTW, beautiful festae, HUKIT. The vast majority of my New World cichlids over the years have been rescues received from people who didn't know what they were gettin' into when they got 'em, so I've never kept the species. She almost tempts me away from the Dark Side...

WYite

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
This is not my photo but some of my mature 2yr. olds look just as stunning. All i have for photos is my Galaxy and it really doesn't do my fish justice.
Nice pic of the festae Hukit.
Killer!!!

images-1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom