When should i remove fry from parents ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any suggestions would be great, parents are green terrors

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are green terrors mouthbrooders? If try are like my mbuna, if you don't pull the female before she spits the fry, try get eaten pretty quickly!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've always reared my larger american cichlid fry away from parents as soon as they were free swimming by removing the parents and feeding naupli, cyclopeeze, live black worms and powdered omega one cichlid flakes. I've never bred green terrors, though.

Finally some answers but they are egg layers, when you say free swimming do you mean that they are not on the bottom swimming a little ? Or do you mean like all over ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When they start darting away from their "safe place" as this is when I would normally notice them. Most of my spawnings of large cichlids were accidental (oscars, dempseys and a nasty flowerhorn cross), though. I know there are quite a few cichlid parents that take care of their fry- my l. hecquii and a. cacatouides are breeding colonies where fry are left in until juveniles are ready for trade in conditioning- which I have also done with convicts. In all honesty there is a lot of debate in many cichlid breeding circles about this very subject. I think that's why no one has really felt comfortable with answering this question.

I have no experience with breeding green terrors, so if someone dropped your breeder tank in my warehouse my first thing would be to observe parental behavior and research their known behavior (fishbase.org has an expansive research database).

Good luck!! Cichlid breeding is so highly addictive though, so be careful not to overrun yourself!!

Back
Top Bottom