When you have baby cichlids where do you put them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quartz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
HELP ME! I am struggeling with where to put my cichlid babies, I have a limited amount of space I have a 10g but, I don't know where to put it any alternatives?

They arn't old, my female is carrying. This is my first batch so anything to help me is good! Including what to feed them!

You could try putting them in a cheap-o breeder box/net. The 10g isn't a bad option.

As far as feeding them, they may eat Hikari first bites or some really finely crushed flakes.

What kind of Cichlid fry are they? Some are smaller than others.

A 10g is a good growout tank. If this is your first batch I'm assuming you have other fry in a 10g?

edit: Just saw your 10g planted tank thread...so you that must be the tank you mentioned above. I would setup an empty 10g with just a heater and sponge filter....and maybe some places to hide.

Last edited:
I have 2 10g set up one planted and one for my cichlid fry! Its my yellow lab and I have black aceis expecting too!

I use a 10 gallon for the mom's and fry. I put a pot in it for the mom while she is holding, so she can hide out in it. I also make a small stack of rocks for her to spit her fry in. All that is in the tank is the terra cotta pot, 3 small rocks stacked up and a fake plant in the corner. I catch her after she held about a week, that way she is less likely to drop them. I then let her alone in the 10 gallon until she spits. No need to try to feed her, she wont eat. Mine hold for 21 days, all of them almost on the day! So, I will start to look for fry about that time. You will see one or two a couple days before that. I call these the escapee's LOL. Then she will slowly let the others out. Some of my mom's will spit the fry in a fake plant, some in the rock pile. Each is different. Once I suspect she has let them all go I will drop a pellet in. If she eats it she is done. I will then leave her in there for a day while I feed her a pellet or two every couple hours. They are very hungry and weak when done. After that I put her back in the main tank.

For fry I just crumble up flake food in my palm until its almost powder. Kristen is right, some are bigger than others. My Red Zebra fry are always twice as big as my Yellow Lab and Acei fry. They all do fine on the crushed flakes. It is the same food I feed the adults, just crushed up good. I always have so many fry that I saved an old flake food jar and filled it with crushed up flakes. That way I don't have to do it every feeding. I feed my fry 2 times a day, a little pinch each time. You will know they are eating good because their tummies will get FAT!

Breeder nets that hang in the main tank is not a good idea with Afriacan Cichlids or Angel fish. They can and will suck the fry right thru the sides and bottom until there is none left. If you set up a 10 gallon for them, they can stay in it until they get big enough to sell or trade. Just keep up on the water changes and vacuum up the left over foods.

Its my yellow lab and I have black aceis expecting too!

Wow, congrats!

How far apart did the mom's spawn? If they spawned less than 2 weeks apart the fry can grow up together in a single 10 gallon with no problems. My 10 gallon is full right now of fry that were released last weekend. Its a mix of Acei fry and Red Zebra fry. The Reds are actually twice as big as the Acei, but the Acei are much braver LOL. Don't try mixing fry that are more than 2 weeks apart because the older fry will attack and kill the younger ones. In the past I raised Red Zebra and Yellow Labs together. This is my first Acei batch. They are adorable!

You can put both mom's in there too. If they fight you will need to add a divider tho. My Yellow Lab mom's hung out fine, but my Ice Blue mom's fought so I had to put a divider in.

Back
Top Bottom