where are the red frontosa at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone.

so i know this breeder in georgia who sold me my demasoni breeding group and he has been telling all this story about how his red frontosa are in the endangered list etc etc. and how instead of 25$ a piece i can get his fry for $20. so im calling you know what on this cuz i have never seen a wild caught red frontosa and i havent seen a post of any of you talking about it. so guys whats the 411 on this?all i kinda know is that its frowned upon by true lovers and that its burundi type(i think lol goolge told me :)....)

are they hybrid?
are they "rare"?
how much for a fry??
why is this type never mentioned?
i need fact and details.
is trading a moba fry for a red frontosa a good trade??

thanks in advance guys!! :D

It's my understanding that 'red' frontosa's are actually selective-bred burundi's (more washed-out brown than red), essentially a man-made variant and not found in the wild.

I've also read that some are burundi's that have been acid-washed to get this look but I'm not sure how true that is (and that theory wouldn't apply to the selective-bred specimens).

In my opinion, because they're man made, they're not worth as much as the natural variants, and definately not worth trading moba's for :eek: . But because there are a lot of man-made variants among other types of fish, they may be worth a lot to some people.

I personally consider them to be undesireable and place them in the same category as some of the other man-made frontosas such as the one's that have nimbochromis-type patterns instead of stripes (I think they're calling them 'panda frontosas').

Back
Top Bottom