which cichlid are easier to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSCAR1290

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i want to breed some baby fish:)

which cichlid are easier to breed and how to breed them?

Most likely convicts... pretty much just buy a male and a female for 4 or 5 bucks, and within three days they will spawn, unless you happen to find a pair that is totally unlike any other pair of convicts on the face of the earth... just keep them alone or in a tank full of other convicts, cause all hell will break loose when they lay eggs and whatever else is in there will be beaten or tormented to death... more fish may curb the aggression if there are enough of them and they are of a size where they can defend themselves against the onslaught.

Seriously, another good one and a little less of a danger zone would be yellow labidochromis. I have never had a colony of these that didn't breed and they are somewhat docile in comparison to the convicts...

What size tank are you starting out with? I would recommend yellow labs, I get about 60 fry every two months. It's getting a bit out of hand actually. You do need a tank of 55 gals at least for african cichlids.

i decide to upgrade my tank to 55gal or 75 gal today

the fish you talking about they goes alone with parrot cichlid well?

because i already have 3 parrot cichlid

The convicts will, as they have similar backgrounds and water chemistry requirements. I have even heard of them hybridizing WITH hybrids like your parrots... The Yellow Labs are African Rift lake fish and should have much higher ph and harder water. They may get harassed by the parrots when they get larger. I saw two parrots at the LFS that were about 9 inches long and FAT through the middle. They did not look lazy either, they appeared to be hellions. The convicts would be able to hold their own in there. A 75 gallon is the better choice for your desired set up.

They will for the first few times till they get it right, but if you remove, the mom will take care of them longer.

Back
Top Bottom