Which i better? Bolivian-Gold-Blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! Wasn't sure if i should post this in general or chichlid so sorry if i'm wrong.

I am looking to set up a peaceful community tank That will have
x1 Angel fish
x1 Dwarf Gourami
x2 Rams
x5 Danios
x4 coryies

I have lots of hiding places, plants and rocks now i just can't decide on what kind of ram.

I'd like one that is a little hardier so i'm kinda leaning away from the blues.

Also, Should i add the rams before or after the DG and Angel? (I'm added them at the same time to try to avoid any aggression) I want the tank to be established but i don't want them bullied..

Should b fine your rams r bottom dwellers and your angels and gouramis are mid to top so I think u will have a peaceful and pretty set up but that's just my opinion and I'm far from an expert I have kept rams an gouramis for yrs but never did like the angels but good luck an plz post pics!!

Wild said:
Hi there! Wasn't sure if i should post this in general or chichlid so sorry if i'm wrong.

x1 Angel fish
x1 Dwarf Gourami
x2 Rams
x5 Danios
x4 coryies

I have lots of hiding places, plants and rocks now i just can't decide on what kind of ram.

Also, Should i add the rams before or after the DG and Angel? (I'm added them at the same time to try to avoid any aggression) I want the tank to be established but i don't want them bullied..

I say add everything as far as corys and danios, then the angel and gourami at the same time, then both rams at the same time after.

Have you seen electric blue rams..? Woah!

I'd say go blues but thats IMO

Bolivian Rams are definitely the most hardiest out of your choices. You are correct since the Electrics are a variant of the German Blues they don't have the same life span usually and are more finicky too. Try to buy any of the choices from a local breeder if at all possible for multiple reasons.

What size is the tank? I would be careful about adding a dg, angel, and rams into the same tank because if there is limited space, those species can fight. Since you will just have 1 angel and 1 dg, it will probably be ok, but be careful and watch out for bullying.
I agree that Bolivians are the hardiest of those choices. Thats what I keep and I love them.

Here's a pic of my blue ram and my electric blue

Attachments

• image-2304482196.jpg
    image-2304482196.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-509951115.jpg
    image-509951115.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 71
They are GORGEOUS!!!

I have Africans, how different are they to keep? I'm gonna have an empty tank soon and was thinking about keeping ele blue rams.

I don't have any Africans, so I cannot speak to that. I bought mine locally, hoping that would help them transition to my water. I have a high pH (8.2) and they are doing fine. When they get older, I hope they breed, and may switch to RO water to make breeding more viable, but I will make sure I need to first.

I do 50% PWCs every 3 days or so. Temperment wise, they are pretty docile (I hear spawning can change that) and mine are in a community tank for now with some Neon Tetras, and a swordtail. I hope to re-home the swordtail and fill up the school of neons to 10.

Wild said:

x1 Angel fish
x1 Dwarf Gourami
x2 Rams
x5 Danios
x4 coryies

I have pretty much the same fish apart from the danios, 2 Bolivians, 2 angels, 6 corys and 2 dwarf gouramis.

They should all get on (hopefully ), there are various parameters that can effect the peace , tank size and territory, the personality of the fish.

If your tank is big enough to support the amount of fish and you appear to have enough cover to establish territory's the choice of fish should work, corys tend to work better in groups of 6 but I'm sure 4 should be fine ? mine rarely school.

I have kept both rams and the Bolivian is the more hardy of the two tho the German IMHO isn't as delicate as a lot of people say if you keep up proper tank maintenance

I have pretty much the same fish apart from the danios, 2 Bolivians, 2 angels, 6 corys and 2 dwarf gouramis.

They should all get on (hopefully ), there are various parameters that can effect the peace , tank size and territory, the personality of the fish.

If your tank is big enough to support the amount of fish and you appear to have enough cover to establish territory's the choice of fish should work, corys tend to work better in groups of 6 but I'm sure 4 should be fine ? mine rarely school.

I have kept both rams and the Bolivian is the more hardy of the two tho the German IMHO isn't as delicate as a lot of people say if you keep up proper tank maintenance
IMO/E, thats not totally true. The problem with gbr that some people run into is that they have overbred and there are a lot of really weak strains out there. I have seen multiple people who got gbr and they dropped dead in pristine water with good tankmates and proper sized tanks. If you are able to find a well-bred gbr, then I agree that one of those is not as sensitive as their reputation implies, but if you find a weak one then the reputation holds true. With gbr, a lot of their success has to do with stock. If you find locally bred gbr, thats good because they will be used to your water params. If not a local breeder, I suggest getting them from a different reputable breeder for the best results.

Should b fine your rams r bottom dwellers and your angels and gouramis are mid to top so I think u will have a peaceful and pretty set up but that's just my opinion and I'm far from an expert I have kept rams an gouramis for yrs but never did like the angels but good luck an plz post pics!!

rams arent bottom dwellers.

absolutangel04 said:
IMO/E, thats not totally true. The problem with gbr that some people run into is that they have overbred and there are a lot of really weak strains out there. I have seen multiple people who got gbr and they dropped dead in pristine water with good tankmates and proper sized tanks. If you are able to find a well-bred gbr, then I agree that one of those is not as sensitive as their reputation implies, but if you find a weak one then the reputation holds true. With gbr, a lot of their success has to do with stock. If you find locally bred gbr, thats good because they will be used to your water params. If not a local breeder, I suggest getting them from a different reputable breeder for the best results.

Fair point, never considered this due to having a great local LFS/ breeder

rams arent bottom dwellers.

Try telling my rams that...

I see from your signature you have a lot of them, but, it might be more accurate to say that YOUR rams aren't. Mine rarely leave the lower levels of my tank, if ever.

I see from your signature you have a lot of them, but, it might be more accurate to say that YOUR rams aren't. Mine rarely leave the lower levels of my tank, if ever.
Yeah, my rams too. I would certainly call them bottom dwellers even though they do not scavenge like catfish or other fish labeled as bottom dwellers. But, they do dwell in the lower portions of the tank.

h2oskierc said:

Yeh I have a lot of rams. Don't get me wrong they do like to forage and burrow. But they generally swim in all areas.

Back
Top Bottom