Which large cichlid to get? Oscar vs Jack vs Acara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for a large beautiful cichlid to keep by itself in a 75 gallon tank, something with an "outgoing personality". I am considering:

Red Oscar
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
Electric Blue Acara

Every large Jack Dempsey I see in various local fish stores is hiding behind rocks in a corner, even when they are all alone in a large tank. Are adult Jack Dempseys always shy like this?

How are Acaras? Are they always hiding too like Jack Dempseys?

I like the acara idea the most. Ive never kept them but JD's and oscars are seen a lot. Oscars are SUPER vivacious tho I love their personality

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah the Oscars are a sure win for personality but have no resale value whatsoever. I don't have plans to sell but you never know what will happen in 10 years.

Too many people complain that the electric blue jacks are fragile with 50 to 80 percent mortality rate even in the hands of experts. They are also nervous fish that hide a lot when they become adults. Opposite of oscars in every way. I think I will cross jack dempsey off my list.

Anyone have experience with acaras? Are they a nervous fish too?

I've also considered flowerhorns but the nice ones are prohibitively expensive and the ugly ones are uglier than Oscars.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my expierence Oscars are a great fish to own. They are very personable. Before owning one I thought they where bla and boring because everyone has them. After owning one I now know why everyone has one they are great fish.

I was a big fan of Jacks for a while but I was constantly waiting for my JD to be more of an out in the open type of fish and in a year that day never came. Not a skittish fish but very content to hang out under his drift wood.

I have never owned an accara but they don't get very large I have heard people say they are more a 4" fish than 6" fish that is claimed. again I have no experience that is just what I have read.

Some others I would recommend are Green Terror, Texas, or Severum. they all get good sized and are great fish.

How about a pair of Salvini ? If you can find them, they can be very vibrant. JD's natural habitat consist of murky water. IMO that is why they tend to become shy as they grow. Just an idea I recently came to me as I'm having this issue with my pair. I did a little research on wild habitats and that was a common denominator that stuck out at me.

I've had salvini before. They are smaller than what I am looking for. They are absolutely stunning when ready to spawn but at other times they are brownish greyish dull especially if I end up with a male. Similar to kribensis.

I agree about the severums they have the sweetest personalitys

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The severum idea is interesting. Red severums are beautiful. They are supposed to grow to 12 inches but in 30+ years of fish keeping I have never seen one over 4 or 5 inches long. In contrast, have probably seen hundreds of 12 inch Oscars in my lifetime.

I have seen dozens of severums larger than 4-5 inches. Every adult I've ever seen is larger than that.

In a 75g, most Amphilophus would make a great wet pet... Midas, Red Devil, Trimac, Red Isletas, Amarillo, Hogaboomorum, Lyonsi, etc.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

q

Get an Arowana I have one with an Oscar they are all so gorgeous. Or go with an Oscar they love being alone I used to have a great relationship with mine. He loved my face as my girl always said lol. But if you don't want a 3ft fish then go with an Oscar they are very smart.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk

The severum idea is interesting. Red severums are beautiful. They are supposed to grow to 12 inches but in 30+ years of fish keeping I have never seen one over 4 or 5 inches long. In contrast, have probably seen hundreds of 12 inch Oscars in my lifetime.

I have seen them 9"+ they are very impressive at that size. The get a bigger chest to them kind of stately looking. I have red dot that is about 5" and I love watching him zoom around the tank. I have been thinking of getting rid of my other fish just to give him more room to grow.

I have seen them 9"+ they are very impressive at that size. The get a bigger chest to them kind of stately looking. I have red dot that is about 5" and I love watching him zoom around the tank. I have been thinking of getting rid of my other fish just to give him more room to grow.

I have seen lots Severums larger than 4-5 inches as well in my 30 years of this hobby. How bad where these fish kept that they get stunted to 4-5 inches?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I used to have a few arowanas about 15 years ago. I remember having some that were finicky eaters that for unknown reasons would decide one day to permanently eat only live food. And some that developed flared/bent gills similar to what you see in redtailed catfish when kept in poor water conditions, even though my water had essentially zero ammonia and nitrite. Some would develop one stuck eyeball that stopped moving. I always thought this was strange because if you look at the water conditions where arowana and retail catfish thrive, visibility is less than 5-6 inches because the water is either opaque brown due to muddy sediment or opaque green due to algae. Just look at the water in this arowana breeding farm:

Maybe these diseases are like the bent dorsal fins of orcas in captivity - the proposed causes are theoretical but scientifically unverified. Silver arowanas were very hardy, but the more beautiful red or gold arowanas were hit or miss for me. Healthy for 4 years, then deformed or finicky for no apparent reason. I don't want to go there again.

Oscar seems to be everyone's favorite. I'm considering red severum too.

How is the personality of Red Devils compared to Oscar? Are they outgoing and interactive like Oscars or more apathetic?

Green terror looks beautiful when spawning but outside of breeding looks like a dull grey flowerhorn. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks to everyone who has given their opinion, you've brought me closer to getting my big fish.

Jaguar Cichlid

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just curious but why keep just one fish in a 75 gallon, unless maybe an Oscar because of size?

Most of the fish mentioned will leave plenty of room for more in a 75. I have an EBJD in my 55 as the centrepeice and its superb. Not shy at all but not particularly aggressive. I have other smaller cichlids with it plus catfish and Bleeding Hearts.
The trick to them would be buying as large as possible (certainly 4" plus) and from your best local fish store (for good stock).
Smaller specimens bought from your average place will almost certainly not make it.

If you definately want to keep the numbers down i'd get a pair of something. Severum, standard JD, salvini or even maybe Rivulatus (green terror) should work as a pair in that size.

I have a blue acara also (standard colour), and whilst its a nice fish that i'll definatly be keeping, it doesn't have the colour or personality of some of the others mentioned. Would definately not fill out a 75 even as a pair, let alone a single.

Back
Top Bottom