Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Which sex is my Blue Rams & their coloration..?

I got a pair of Rams the other day from my LFS. The guy seemed unsure when picking out the female so I needed to confirm. (2 Photo's posted below) The First one is suppose to be the Male and the second a Female.

Also, at the LFS, the Blue Rams seemed veryyyy colorful, they were yellow and red at their head and much brighter. It's been 3 days they're in the aquarium, they haven't still gained their colors back. My water parameters seem good (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrates, pH 7.8 and 26 C). The pH is high but at the LFS, they had the same water pH and they were colorful, also the guy said they were locally bred, so they're used to that pH since birth.

I feed them fish flakes, I need to get to get more variety of food, if you could suggest, not only for my Blue Rams but my Tetras too.

Does the lighting, gravel, background alter the Blue Rams coloration?

*Note, I'm still adding more plants, wood and decoration in the middle and on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1035.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	37608   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1045.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	37609  

Name:	SAM_1042.jpg
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	37610  

Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Looks like a pair to me. Give them time to settle in. Keep the water about 82F and be sure they have plenty of places to hide. They should color right up.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The female fish is smaller than the male and have more pink pigmentation on her ventral region. If you look at the anterior region of the dorsal fin, you can see that her fin rays are less developed. It is also common for females to have a plumper body shape and more rounded edging of the tailfin. The back of the dorsal and anal fins have a more pointy edge in the male ram, and the tail fin is also more sharply edged. The male ram can be recognized on his V-shaped tail fin and the elongated second ray that is present in the dorsal fin.

The first pic is a male and the second one is a female.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3610472682.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	37612   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1296940630.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	37613  

Tags
blue ram, blue rams, ich, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com