Whirling disease in Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have just lose a second discus to this disease. Treated with prazi pro after we saw the second discus acting crazy and equilibrium off, but we were too late. So many beautiful discus in this tank (125g) and would like to save them all. Any one have any experience or advice with this please? Water perimeters have not changed, haven't added a discus in over a month. This all started around 4 days ago.

Man I wish some one would help you. I have 0 experience with whirling and discus so I'm no help

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water parameter just to shut all the wolves up??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ph is 7.0 i dont really check the nitrite/ate anymore because of the huge constant wc's and the fact that its barebottom and vaccumed clean every wc. The sick fish is driving me crazy?

Filtration?

I have two big sponge filters, a penguin hang on and a canister filter. Im not by the tank now so #s im not too certain. But the water is always new, everyone is growing well. I tryed pinning the parasite on the most recent discus added, but two died and none were him.

I'm out, I know the next topic will be imprtance of qt'ing, I'm sorry you're having issues, those are stunning fish!

Had the same with one of my cory's, there's really nothing we can do about it though. I did read that it can be caused by a sudden change in pH, water and big water changes, but I don't see why that would be bad for discus. I'm really sorry about your fish.

Nils

Thankyou. I know, qt'ing is important it just is such a lengthy process and we have so many tanks running already. On a more cheerful note, my lfs finally has discus back in! He gets them from discus hans so they are pricey, but i saw one that is to die for! Close to a silver pigeon but a tad different.

Sounds like you need to prioritize.. that whole lust thing usually ends poorly;)

If you use city water maybe something changed? Or an old water heater leaking some nasty stuff. I saw another thread on here not long ago where a whole tank with perfect parameters was wiped out and no one really knew why for certain.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ive spoken to a local discus breeder,
Who after i said the symptoms with the fish he said whirling disease. They add up with forum posts on simplydiscus as well. He said once the physical symptoms appeared and they were not immediately treated the fish wouldn't last more than 48 hors, each lasted less than 24. Im just trying to figure out which fish brought it in ? and who else may have it currently still!

How do you treat it though? Sorry for my snarky post earlier, forget you're one of the good guys; )

sorry about all this, your probably one of the only "newbie" or new to discus keeping folks on here who actually do it properly.

No worries! Besides proper qt'ing, id say id do all that i can do to the book! I have two lfs owners i work closely with with the discus tanks, as well as a breeder. Prazi pro apparently removes the parasite, how long to treat and how long until i know the 125 discus are fine? That im not sure. I hate medicating fish, its hard to tell what is wrong/how long is long enough/too long to treat. The tank has two pairs and a beautiful red map that we really are trying to save though. I guess it's a learning experience. The last time i used prazipro it took out a few of my healthy discus (lose their slimecoat and passed) so im crossing my fingers for some improved results when i check on them later. Tanks been covered for days to (try) to reduce stress. Will keep everyone updated!

Everyone looks well. But MIGHT do a big wc and treat again to be sure? They looked well before and as the whirling hit. I have a huge discus to go in that tank, id like to be sure its all good to go. I'm not sure how to know its 100% gone? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom