White or Black sand with Yellow Labs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which colour substrate should I have? I feel black would make their colours stand out more, however white seems more natural..

Thanks =)

I got black mixed as i wanted the nautral grey kinda colour. Really makes the fish stand out :)

img_1842296_0_bbfecb7406ebdf4ad4f49dcd4d436491.jpg

black is best for color... i have 3 tanks with black sand... i know its not really natural but it looks so much cleaner!

Ah yes that does look good! Seems like black it is.. Where could I get some from that would be cheaper than my LFS?

Black diamond blasting sand is 8 dollars for 5 lbs. Available and most hardware stores. Needs to be very well cleaned. Very! well cleaned.

heres a look
img_1842546_0_d9cfb3351de877024afd0848a5c8de1f.jpg

Yes, it's 50 pounds. And he wasn't kidding when he said it needs to be washed very well. But I think it's worth it for the price.

I got black mixed as i wanted the nautral grey kinda colour. Really makes the fish stand out :)

img_1843495_0_bbfecb7406ebdf4ad4f49dcd4d436491.jpg
I am lovin this mixed sand! I have white Im about to put in but I was afraid it would wash my fish out :/ this just made me want to mix with some black! Very nice :) (y)

I am lovin this mixed sand! I have white Im about to put in but I was afraid it would wash my fish out :/ this just made me want to mix with some black! Very nice :) (y)

Thanks, it makes the fish stand out more if you ask me :D

Malawi MaD said:
Thanks, it makes the fish stand out more if you ask me :D

I bet it does! I have a really bright Kenyi (amongst others but she is the brightest besides the labs) and I think the mix would really make her shine :)

The cheapest place I have found to buy sand is seapets.co.uk they do caribsea sand which IME needs hardly any washing i think I paid £16 for a bag

It'll depend on te colour you want. I personally didn't want to risk not using aquarium sand, and he added problem was finding black!

Back
Top Bottom