White poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should I be concerned with this white poop from my 1.25" female caudopunk orange fin?

Should I give her a 30 min salt bath with 1Tbsp Epsom salt per gallon? Too much? Too little?

Attachments

• image-4213808535.jpg
    image-4213808535.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 136
As soon as I read white poop I thought internal parasite but your looks normal. IPs usually show as a white thread with little balls. Theirs vary in color just like ours do.

As soon as I read white poop I thought internal parasite but your looks normal. IPs usually show as a white thread with little balls. Theirs vary in color just like ours do.

Ours varies due to a variety of foods digested, this is not the case with fish as their diet is nothing like ours. It should be the same color as going in.

I would watch the fish in question and monitor over the next few days. Is the fish eating, if so what?

White feces stringy or not good indication of a digestive issue.

NLS cichlid pellets. Eating fine.

I knew that from your previous post, NLS fecal matter is always brown not white. I would fast the fish for a couple of days to ensure the digestive track is clear. Then I would skip the Epsom salt bath and soak your pellets then feed for 7 days. Use a 3% salt solution which is adding 1 heaping tablespoon to 16oz of distilled water, soak the pellets until moist then feed. This will get directly into the gut which is where the potential issue lies.

Is this an adequate way to isolate from feeding? Will the rusty tin lid be a problem? Water circulation? I don't have a second tank.

Attachments

• image-154390441.jpg
    image-154390441.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 92
Is this an adequate way to isolate from feeding? Will the rusty tin lid be a problem? Water circulation? I don't have a second tank.

I would just fast the entire tank a few days and remove that jar will just cause more stress and when fighting illness it's best to reduce that as much as possible. Feeding pellets soaked with Epsom salts is completely safe for all fish and will act like a laxative when ingested into the digestive track. I feed this to all my fish every 2-3 months as a preventative to digestive issues.

My problem with that is that I just got 11 new fish yesterday. They fasted while traveling obviously, so I don't know about another 48 hours without food. Plus, two of the new fish are punks. What would cause more stress: being in a jar or defending territory from two new guys who have now been in the tank for 24 hours while she has been isolated?

Eventually I may get a breeder or hospital tank set up. But for now it's just not possible.

Do you strain the pellets to get then out of the salt water? I already have Epsom salt in my tank - not sure I should add the extra concentration.

Can I soak enough for a few days at a time or should I just soak what I'm going to feed right away, meaning I should set up a 16 oz glass and mix my salt 2 or 3 times a day?

No soaking your pellets for a long period of removes the majority of vitamins, so only soak them until they're moist then feed.

I use a small medicine dropper and a bottle cap, place the pellets then use the dropper to apply only enough water to moisten then pellets.

She's pooping brown again!! Thanks for the advice. You've saved my punk!

Back
Top Bottom