Who owns a Red Devil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brother in-law is going to give me his 55 gal set up. He has two fish in it a Red Devil and an Oscar. I know nothing about these fish can anyone who owns one tell me more than the little blurbs on fish profile pages. The fish are about 6 years old, so its safe to say they are fully mature.

Both the Red Devil and Oscar grows to 12" and some even more.

The Red Devil are much more aggressive than the Oscar.

The 55 gallon is too small for them. I think you should put them in the 90 gallon tank with lots of hiding place.

Yes, the 55 g is too small for those fish. Everything I've ever heard about Red Devils is that they are absolute terrors to other fish so that Oscar is going to need some hiding places.

Ok, I can appreciate that the tank maybe (is) too small, other than that what else can anyone tell me about these two fish???

Red Devils, bastards though they are, are fun fish.
I had one who would come to the surface so I could tickle the hump behind this nose. He was a friendly sort and shared his tank with a big pleco. Jeff

The Red Devil is from Central Amercia and the Oscar from the Amazon, South Amercia.

Cichlids usually have different personality and they are pretty intelligent.

The Oscar is more of a predator that will eat any fish small enough to fit in to their mouth, but they are generally not that aggressive towards other fish thier size.

Red Devil are usually mean and aggressive even with fish their size.

All Cichlids are generally territorial and they need their space.

They will fight if space is not given and not enough hiding place.

They will pretty much eat anything and not too picky. I will feed them good Cichlid pellets and bloodworms.

Use driftwood and rocks to make them have enough hiding place and they can set thier own territory.

Back
Top Bottom