Whoops! Am I in trouble now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did 50% PWC's on my QT and 55 gal cichlid tanks last night and I inadvertently missed re plugging my Eheim canister filter back in. I've been running it on the cichlid tank for about 4 weeks to have it seeded and ready to go on a new tank I'm expecting to get within the next two weeks.

It has been running alongside a sponge filter/powerhead, AC70 and AquaOne Moray 700 internal canister and was switched off for about 12 hours. I didn't notice because of the flow from the other filters and because it's so quiet anyway!

Have I undone all my good work? Would the BB have survived? Arghhhhh!!!!

12 hours a shouldn't hurt especially since you've got a sponge filter and no fish. I doubt anything happened.

I think you should be okay. I wouldn't think 12 hours would kill off all of your BB. But that's just IMO. As long as it was sitting in water and not bone dry you should be okay

Two weeks away should be enough time. I understand that the Bb starts suffocating after 45 minutes without O2, this is what I have learned. I may be wrong as I am unable to conduct tests myself as I am not a micro-biologist.
In any case keeping the filter moist is the most important thing.
Ultimately monitor the new set up, you should have minimal issues.

Thanks guys - it's running on my cichlid tank so it does have fish. 11 at the moment and I have 5 new guys in the QT ready to go into the new setup.

The sponge filter will be going on the new tank with it. Hoping it's ok as the canister would have been full of water so the media didn't dry out.

Back
Top Bottom