Why are my cichlids always at the back of the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvbfamily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi experts,

I am new to the hobby and have been really enjoying it. First off I would like to thank members in advance with any advice given.

Now I have 2 problems. I have 2 x 55 gallons.

Both have white sand and will be used to house cichlids.

Currently I have 1 tank with fish in them (yellow labs, snow whites, jewels, and Victorian cichlids along with 1 angel)
My first question is I never get to see them as they are always in the back of the tank by the window. Is there something that makes them stay back there and not come to the front? I intentionally put the rock formations in the middle in hopes some will be visible at all times.

Now my second tank same setup housing 2 Oscars. Doing fine, but this tank seems to be cloudy constantly and it just won't go away. Washed prior to setup the same as other tank as I setup both at the same time. It's been 1 week and no difference. Oscars are doing well but don't understand why the water hasn't cleared up. Is there something I can add or do? (Water changes don't seem to work)

Thanks

Wow, your cichlid tank has gone kind of crazy with the stocking.

-First tank-
The cichlids you picked to go together really don't match with their needed water parameters.

The jeweled and angels are south american cichlids and prefer pH below 7.

The rest of the cichlids are africans and prefer a pH of 8.0 or higher.

Furthermore, you have the snow white and yellow labs which are fairly aggressive rock dwelling Mbuna in with Victorian cichlids which are generally less aggressive. Following that, Mbuna need to be stocked at a fairly specific ratio of males to females to avoid aggression.

I would HIGHLY suggest doing a complete restock with a little bit of research before filling a tank with cichlids. They are a fairly complex fish that can't be kept in a similar manner to regular community fish. I would follow that with picking a specific lake to buy fish from and a specific type of fish to stock from that lake.

For example, you have 2 different species of Mbuna from lake Malawi. If you pick a third species of Mbuna to go with them (assuming it will fit in a 55g and isn't one of the hyper aggressive species) you can stock the 3 different species of Mbuna at a ratio of 1m to 4-5 females. They are harem breeders and can be rough on females which is why you need more than one. They will also fight incessantly with other males of the same species when they grow up.

To answer your question finally, it depends on how long they've been in the tank and what you have for decorations. Mbuna should have caves in order to be happy which they will dart to when scared. It is likely that they are just not used to you and try to get away when you show up.

-Second Tank-
What are your parameters? Ammonia in the water is the most common cause of cloudy water because it causes a bacterial bloom. Failing a positive ammonia reading then it could be suspended debris which could be taken care of by filter floss added to your filter. If it's green cloudy then it's algae which is a bit of a pain to take care of.

Thanks for the reply. I did spend some time researching and found that yellow labs are non aggressive and can be held with Victorians.

As for the others, **** LPS staff told me there was no problem with angel fish with any of these as long as it's bigger. Guess that explains the shedding I noticed. Guess I will have to cycle a new tank to put the angel in.

(I was looking for yellow labs, fontosa primarily as forums said them two can live peacefully) :(

As for the cloudy water tank. Readings are normal. Ammonia 0 ,nitrate 0

I have many caves, but guess I will need to figure out a new way to stock the fish to keep them happy.

Also is it normal that LPS seem to only carry males? I have yet to find one that can provide me females here and they always just tell me too hard to tell. I have read that if anal fin has spots it a male which I always see.

Thanks for the reply. I did spend some time researching and found that yellow labs are non aggressive and can be held with Victorians.

As for the others, **** LPS staff told me there was no problem with angel fish with any of these as long as it's bigger. Guess that explains the shedding I noticed. Guess I will have to cycle a new tank to put the angel in.

(I was looking for yellow labs, fontosa primarily as forums said them two can live peacefully) :(

As for the cloudy water tank. Readings are normal. Ammonia 0 ,nitrate 0

I have many caves, but guess I will need to figure out a new way to stock the fish to keep them happy.

Also is it normal that LPS seem to only carry males? I have yet to find one that can provide me females here and they always just tell me too hard to tell. I have read that if anal fin has spots it a male which I always see.

The only reliable way to tell if a yellow lab is male or female is to vent them. Something which I never tried to do personally.

As for the yellow labs being non aggressive, that is a misnomer. They are perhaps the least aggressive of the mbuna but the mbuna are some of the most aggressive fish out there. They definitely aren't a good community fish.

The yellow labs being kept with frontosa can possibly be done, but it's not recommended. The yellow labs can nip the frontosa's fins a bit.

Thanks for the advice. Will get right on modifying things in the morning. A little fed up actually as I am in HONG KONG where fish are plenty but seems to be all males and everyone only after making a quick buck. :(.

Is there anything I can add to clear the water up. I read there was a formula.

Thanks for the advice. Will get right on modifying things in the morning. A little fed up actually as I am in HONG KONG where fish are plenty but seems to be all males and everyone only after making a quick buck. :(.

Is there anything I can add to clear the water up. I read there was a formula.

Unless it's algae additives aren't going to clear the water up. Your best bet would be to start with filter floss and then see how it responds to that in a few days.

Another way to stock a cichlid tank is to stock around 15 males of all different species.

Filter floss? Not sure what that is but will look it up.

Thanks

You can go to just about any craft store and pick up a package of poly fill pillow stuffing. It is the same exact thing as actual filter floss. But it's a very fine cotton like stuffing that you can stick in your filter that will trap very fine particles clearing up your water.

Where do I stick it? Around the intake tube, in the intake tube, or at the end where water is returned into the tank?

Where do I stick it? Around the intake tube, in the intake tube, or at the end where water is returned into the tank?

i usually just stick it in the most convenient spot which is in the top of the filter. The best place to put it is right after the mechanical filtration media and right before the biological filtration media.

Thanks a bunch. My filtration system really doesn't seem to have a spot for me to put it. It's an intake tube that goes into the mechanical part which immediately disperses water into my sponges, then carbon, then that bio rock stuff then out back into the tank.

So put it between the carbon and the sponge. It doesn't take up hardly any space at all unless you use a crapload of it. All you would need is a small handfull which will fit in a tiny area.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like all I needed to do was to wait another day. All clear now. With tank 2 and fish are all in the front now being use to my presence. Are cichlid tanks only for fish? Want to spice it up with other things, but don't want to do it if anything will die or get eaten because of it

Thanks for the advice. Looks like all I needed to do was to wait another day. All clear now. With tank 2 and fish are all in the front now being use to my presence. Are cichlid tanks only for fish? Want to spice it up with other things, but don't want to do it if anything will die or get eaten because of it

It depends on the species. For the most part african cichlids can't be kept with any plants or inverts. Some south american cichlids can be kept with plants and snails.

From what I have read, I am guessing, crabs, shrimp, lobsters, crayfish etc.. Are out of the question right? As I have white sand and I read that sand can have dead spots that can hold deadly gas for my fish. Wanted to add something that can help me sift the sand any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom