Why are my cichlids rubbing on everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If fish are uncomortable in the tank that they are in due to the ammonia being a little to high, or the pH is off or has moved a little bit, or for a number of other reasons especially since it is a new tank. It could possibly be a parasite which is why you need to pay closer attention to them but if you are checking them and can find nothing wrong with them other then them flashing, are you just going to start putting chemicals in your tank? If it was ich, you'd probably see it as it stands out fairly easily.

Check for spots, check the gills, see if any scales anywhere are damaged, see if the poop looks normal, etc.... If the tank wasn't a new tank, then you'd probably have to be a little more worried but it sometimes happens with tanks that aren't 100% cycled and you add fish.

OK I need to work on doing water changes and maybe a more powerful filter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't realize you have a fairly new setup, about a month or less?
The fish you mentioned are pretty tough but they will be stressed and more prone to diseases if your filter is not fully cycled. I think you will be ok doing partial water changes, daily or every other day till things stabilize in your tank, you're probably in the middle stages of whats called a "fish in cycle". Don't overfeed, the Africans cichlids always look and act hungry!
What size tank and filter do you have?

It is a 40 breeder And I have one 30 gallon and a 20 gallon filter

Depending on how many fish, you should be fine. If you had a test kit, it's easy to tell how far along you are in the cycle. You'll start by building up ammonia until the bacteria develop to convert the ammonia into nitrites and then again more bacteria to convert the nitrites into nitrates at which point you'll be alright. Once all the ammonia/nitrites are gone you're pretty much in the clear. Like gilpi stated, daily or every other day changes are a good idea to keep down the ammonia/nitrite levels.

If you had access to an established tank, you could get a little filter media or gravel or whatever from it to help seed your tank/filter. My brother and I do this all the time and have just about mastered it. Can cycle tanks within a week, but we always keep extra sponge filters established and ready for when they're needed.

OK I got some stuff from an and already established tank it was a few pieces of decor and I think some rocks. I just have a normal filter that takes cartridges. I was looking at canister but they are just way to expensive for me so I don't have any filter media can move over. And I didn't know that I had a little ten gallon that had been established for little over a year but I super cleaned it because I was planning on selling it

Well my cichlids are not rubbing as often probably once or twice a day tops it feels so good

OK I got some stuff from an and already established tank it was a few pieces of decor and I think some rocks. I just have a normal filter that takes cartridges. I was looking at canister but they are just way to expensive for me so I don't have any filter media can move over. And I didn't know that I had a little ten gallon that had been established for little over a year but I super cleaned it because I was planning on selling it

You will have to get a filter where you can add some media in it, those disposable thin cartridges dont hold much bacteria IMO.
I took one of those cartridge filters and DIY a cartridge with a thick piece of floss in it, works pretty good.

Flashing is caused by ich or ammonia being to high. You don't need to worry about PH. If you have drinkable water from your tap the ph is fine. If it is ich you would see white spots by now since you haven't mentioned that your ammonia is high. Do 25% water changes every day for a week or two then test the water and see how it sits.

OK I will do that and then post the results

Back
Top Bottom