Why is my sand in my 10gallon tank so dirty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
On Sunday I switched from gravel to sand but the sand is really dirty:(

Attachments

• image-798567975.jpg
    image-798567975.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 420
The dirt is all the fish waste that used to get under the gravel. Since you have sand it stays at the top. Just suck it out with a gravel vac.

2 male guppies, cherry red cichlid, yellow lab cichlid, blue electric zebra cichlid, kongi cichlid, red pladie and a small Pleco but I'm only using him to clear up my tank and then I put him in my brothers tank to clear up his until I have more algae.

If by pladie, you mean a red platyy, then he needs more buddies. also, what kinda pleco, some get feet upon feet in length...
Also, not sure about the cichlids you have, how big do they get, dont zebras get big?

I am not a cichlid expert but i thought they are supposed to be homed in a bigger tank. Not a 10G. But other experts will probably chime in here later.

My platy was the survivor of my PH spike I feel so bad that I can't get him a female and I'm broke so I'm waiting for the week end and my zebra was a birthday present same with the Pleco but my zebra is really small

And also guppies i think is a shoaling fish so you need to have at least five or more of them to thrive.

Yeah guppies are, and i think the cichlids are too, but dont know much about them. Youd need a much bigger tank to keep them. You can have platies and guppies, but they breed fast in a ten, so watch out. Id take everyone else back unless you wana buy a big tank..

My platy and my 2 male guppies where survivors from my PH spike

josh7 said:
I agree you need to rehome the cichlids and the pleco NOW!!!!!!!

Are you daft my Pleco is tinny and when he gets too big I'm giving him away?

Guppies and platies do not need others to thrive and will do just fine on their own. Your tank is way overstocked IMO. Cichlids have different requirements than tropical fish and should not be housed together. Some cichlids may be able to live in a ten gallon, but from my knowledge about those, they need a much bigger tank and can become very aggressive. Is your pleco a common? If so, he can grow very large, over one foot. The mess on the sand is from all of the fish waste. With that many fish, debris can form quickly in a small space. A gravel vac should clear it up.

I would reccomend you either choose tropical fish or cichlids. In the long run, I think this will work best for you and your fish. :)

You still need to rehome the pleco before he becomes stunted it will cause him death

okapizebra said:
Guppies and platies do not need others to thrive and will do just fine on their own. Your tank is way overstocked IMO. Cichlids have different requirements than tropical fish and should not be housed together. Some cichlids may be able to live in a ten gallon, but from my knowledge about those, they need a much bigger tank and can become very aggressive. Is your pleco a common? If so, he can grow very large, over one foot. The mess on the sand is from all of the fish waste. With that many fish, debris can form quickly in a small space. A gravel vac should clear it up.

I would reccomend you either choose tropical fish or cichlids. In the long run, I think this will work best for you and your fish. :)

Thanks you are the only one that was nice and actually helped thank you very much in the summer when I get a job (I'm 14) I will up grade to probably a 30-35 gallon :)

IMHO everyone here was very polite about your problem and I agree with all of them about the stocking. That pleco won't do for very long in there. And common plecos produce a lot of waste IME. I'd think about maybe a BN pleco instead. And definitely upgrading as soon as u can.

My cichlids and my biggest cichlid is not even 5cm

Attachments

• image-136703124.jpg
    image-136703124.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image-4293713015.jpg
    image-4293713015.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3216824518.jpg
    image-3216824518.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2015341205.jpg
    image-2015341205.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 111
That sounds like a good plan. Are you going to keep both tanks up and running? You could keep the cichlids in the larger tank and keep the tropicals in the smaller one. The cichlids are going to get much bigger and will need the space. I would keep up on your water changes and work on getting the new tank asap.

I agree about the pleco. Since you're keeping him in the smaller tank he will not grow as much. This is stunting. His body may not grow but his organs will continue to grow causing a slow and painful death to the fish.

okapizebra said:
That sounds like a good plan. Are you going to keep both tanks up and running? You could keep the cichlids in the larger tank and keep the tropicals in the smaller one. The cichlids are going to get much bigger and will need the space. I would keep up on your water changes and work on getting the new tank asap.

I agree about the pleco. Since you're keeping him in the smaller tank he will not grow as much. This is stunting. His body may not grow but his organs will continue to grow causing a slow and painful death to the fish.

And yes I'm planing on keeping my 10gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom