wild vs. captive GBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of the LFS in my has recently received a shipment of GBRs that are wild caught.

They didn't look too good as there were a number just laying on the botton, and some that didn't look like they would survive much longer.

Would it be worth looking into getting some? I know that GBRs can be pretty sensitive at the best of times.

Unless your water is very soft and acidic, I'd steer clear of any wild-caught specimens. Even capitve-bred rams can be tricky to acclimate at home; I can't imagine the task of doing so with wild fish would really be worth the risk, cost, and effort.

Another note, once they start looking sick and not good, very rarely they will bounce back. So if they don't look good, just pass on by and don't get any. Come back a few days later and see how they are doing. If they still have some after a week, and they look better, then if you want to get some, you will have a better chance of success. Too many horror stories out there where people buy fish from an lfs the day they get the shipment in, and a day after they get home, the fish are dead. Give it a little time at the lfs. :)

Yeah, I was thinking of giving them a week and then go and pick off the healthy survivors :)

I am kind of torn over the idea of the wild vs captive GBRs. I don't like the idea of the fish farms using horomones for colouration, etc, or that the wild ones might suffer unduly in captivity. On the other hand, should the wild ones survive in a tank long enough to breed, their offspring might be hardier than a lot of the other captive GBRs.

I really love GBRs, and they are really easy to sex. I'm hoping to get some and have at least one breeding pair form. So far, I haven't had any luck with my other cichlids, but I think I have ended up with all males.

Actually, I have doubts that a LFS would have true wild caughts due to the enormous hassle of getting them. I would think that if they are true wild caught, they have changed hands several times since their capture, which doesn't help at all.

I would take Wolf's suggestion in checking back in a few days. If you see healthy fish, engage the owner in a polite discussion regarding how they obtained them (specifics such as location) and how they were shipped to them.

Having a true wild caught is a great thing in regard to breeding. Most if not all tank/farm raised Rams no longer possess strong genetic material. Getting some nice new blood in the mix can help a great deal.

Good luck.

I have a pr of wild caught Rams that where added to a tank full of damestic. With in 3 days of adding the wilds a female I've had for a yr spawned and now the wilds or trying to spawn togeather. I'm sure hoping and praying they do. As the fry would be the strongest of all in the tank.
most of the LFS ge list wilds are mainly F2 off springs. An less they where marked ture wilds. I'd stay clear of them. Are if the manager of the store coud so me prof of them being turly wild caught Rams. Must wild Rams are without the long fins witch is breed into them and there color is no where near as bright in both sexs.

Back
Top Bottom