Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will decoration change overly stress convicts?

I'm currently setting up a convict tank - almost done with the cycling. At the same time, I'm working on building some of my own decorations, 3d background, etc. I have some basic pots, plants, and pvc caves that I can put in the tank now.

As I finish my background, I hope to pull out some of the pvc, etc, so that there is a design theme going on. Will it overly stress the fish to have to re-establish their favorite caves? As I'm designing all the tank elements, I'm working out a lot of caves and hiding spots (far more than 1 per fish), but it's going to take me a while before it's all done.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re arranging the tank should not stress your fish out. I have a lot of rock work in my tank and after a water change it is almost impossible to get the tank exactly how it was. I think you'll be fine.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychean View Post
I'm currently setting up a convict tank - almost done with the cycling. At the same time, I'm working on building some of my own decorations, 3d background, etc. I have some basic pots, plants, and pvc caves that I can put in the tank now.

As I finish my background, I hope to pull out some of the pvc, etc, so that there is a design theme going on. Will it overly stress the fish to have to re-establish their favorite caves? As I'm designing all the tank elements, I'm working out a lot of caves and hiding spots (far more than 1 per fish), but it's going to take me a while before it's all done.

Thanks for your help!
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Especially considering you are talking about convicts, which are very resilient fish. I've seen a whole tank infected with Ich before and a convict swimming around without a care in the world. Making some tank design changes won't bring him down.

Now, on the other hand, an Oscar would pout in the corner for a week and act like a baby if you disrupted his environment.

In either case, don't bend over backwards for your fish's feelings. You are the owner, operator and designer of the tank and don't let them forget it!

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, convict, convicts, deco, decor, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com