Will oscar get hurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that the back of the tank or the side? If it is the back, do you have a backing on it? He may think that there's more to explore and trying to get through whatever is blocking him. Backing will provide a barrier so he won't be able to see. And he shouldn't be seeing his reflection when straight on like that.

I'm taking the pic from the side but he's staring at the front. There's no background on that. I'm waiting on the one I got for my 90 gal. He used to never do that. It's only recent since the catfish died

Awwwweee, he lost his poop cleaning buddy!!! Lol, you'll probably notice a lot more food waste than normal without you cat their to vacuum at night

Yep! I clean that up daily now. I bought an automatic vac so that I don't take any water out. Never realized how much they poop. Def getting another Cory! Mine grew to 15 inches

What type of cory? I think you mean pleco because no Cory's get 15 inches.

Largest corycats I've known about are about 4 inches or so. There are armored cats that kinda look like cories that I've come across that have been 10 or so inches. Where did you get cories like that? Are you maybe mistaking an over fed clown loach or syndontis or ancistrus?

Nop he was an albino Cory cat. He outgrew my tank and couldn't last 1 more month for the new tank. I saw bigger versions of him when I was abroad in kho phangan.

Nop he was an albino Cory cat. He outgrew my tank and couldn't last 1 more month for the new tank. I saw bigger versions of him when I was abroad in kho phangan.

I don't know what you saw but it didn't belong in the Corydoradinae, the largest species in that genus is the Brochis Britskii which some have been measured over 6" but that's a far cry from 15".

This is what he looked like

Attachments

• image-3336928518.jpg
    image-3336928518.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 62
If that's your opinion than I will change mine and call it a channel than :). Google tends to lie sometimes

If that's your opinion than I will change mine and call it a channel than :). Google tends to lie sometimes

Yea, google will basically tell you anything you want to hear/ see- channel cats are very fast growing at first and often often top the charts at over 3 feet- not recommended for hobbyists OR standard home aquarium set up... I sold a group of channel cats to a hatchery for $650, they were found abandoned in a creek on my research property. I'm afraid of draining the pond and finding a wales cat lol. Cory cats are kind of like dwarf loaches/ botia, the naenus cory is probably the most commonly seen, at pet chains they are usually found with glofish and guppies. If there are any shops in your area selling channel cats you may want to check on the legality of owning them.

Yea, google will basically tell you anything you want to hear/ see- channel cats are very fast growing at first and often often top the charts at over 3 feet- not recommended for hobbyists OR standard home aquarium set up... I sold a group of channel cats to a hatchery for $650, they were found abandoned in a creek on my research property. I'm afraid of draining the pond and finding a wales cat lol. Cory cats are kind of like dwarf loaches/ botia, the naenus cory is probably the most commonly seen, at pet chains they are usually found with glofish and guppies. If there are any shops in your area selling channel cats you may want to check on the legality of owning them.

Channel cats for $650? Man I'm in the wrong line of work! They are everywhere around here.

You have to be kidding me? I would never dump away my pet! I would find it a home long before I did that. I refuse to switch to salt water in my new tank regardless of how bad I want to only bc I can't separate from my oscar fish! I bought my catfish 4.5 years ago so maybe he was legal back than?

It's a very bad idea to buy a channel cat for any home aquarium unless your tank is 1500 gallons or more. They will outgrow your 90 rapidly.

It took that long to go from 2 inches kt where he was today. I'd give him another 2 before he outgrew it. I won't be doing that again tho bc as of right now I wouldn't know where to begin on what to do with him. I wasn't aware of hoooow big they get.

Channel cats for $650? Man I'm in the wrong line of work! They are everywhere around here.

A group of channel cats (3 adults and probably 10 sub adults) in a small privately owned waterway in a place where they are non native and believed unable to inhabit led me to hatchery receiving grants for research on the effects of introduced species. The approximately 13 or so catfish turned over were between 18 and 30 inches. The compensation was collaborative research, the fish themselves, and access to my 40 acres of untouched native river ways and bogs/ swamps. This is the first time in the 3 years that I've owned the property that I have found non native/ invasive fish introduced into my little sanctuary. Also, I don't believe channels are legal to own where I'm at so there really isn't a retail or wholesale price to put on their heads. I imagine in a place where they are already common place would take away the value of accurate research information.... After all you don't have to bushwhack and atv your way through dense forest and uncharted wilderness just to find them ;-)

Dam! That's some big catfish! I would have never thought he would get that big from the size and the place I bought him from!!

Back
Top Bottom