Will Red Zebras and Acei's eat each others babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucsnut79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, So I have a female Red Zebra that is carrying fry. I have her in a breeding tank now, but am thinking of making a Zebra, Acei and bristlenose pleco tank.......my bristlenose plecos are breeding like crazy! So I was hoping to setup a little nursery tank to harbor the young. If I keep them in the main tank they will surely get eaten by my Nimbochromis Venustus. My main question is can I keep the Acei and the Zebras together without them eating one another's fry? Any help would be appreciated!

If I can't do Acei's and Zebra's, could I do [FONT=&quot]Pseudotropheus socolofi? Would they still eat each others fry?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

yeah i think most cichlids would eat ANY fry they can find. i noticed two microscopic kenyi hiding under my holey rock on sunday and now they are nowhere to be seen. im guessing they became a snack for one of the big guys.

I use lava rock to save fry.... Landscape briquette kind. Works awesome.... I've used it for years when I had tropicals and now with cichlids. I at one time had java moss growing over, but got rid of it all....

If I can't do Acei's and Zebra's, could I do [FONT=&quot]Pseudotropheus socolofi? Would they still eat each others fry?[/FONT]

yeah i think most cichlids would eat ANY fry they can find...

Agreed. Generally, mbuna's will most likely attempt to prey upon any fry they're able to catch. The species is irrelevent; they can be quite 'cannibalistic' in that regard.

a general red zebra fry question...
what colour varients are there in red zebra fry? are there darker/striped ones for males and pure orange for females, or am i looking at newly-stripped hybrids? help :)

It depends on the red zebra (M. estherae) parents.

Red or Orange-morph M. estherae parents will produce orange or 'carrot colored' fry.

If you have the Blue-morph (or 'wild-type') variety (blue males/red females), the males will be blue-gray at birth and the females will carrot colored.

I'm not how 'striped hybrids' would enter the equation.

If your fish are m. estherae then yes.

If the fry in question were acquired from an assorted african cichlid tank and 'presumed' to be m. estherae then maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom