"Wolverine" Krib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrehorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male Krib that apparently thought it's fry were food. The female did not appreciate this and would chase him off. I assume it was her that nipped at the male's tail fin, taking good chunk out of it. But now, it appears that it has regenerated. Is this normal? I have an angel in the same boat.

Sabrehorn said:
I have a male Krib that apparently thought it's fry were food. The female did not appreciate this and would chase him off. I assume it was her that nipped at the male's tail fin, taking good chunk out of it. But now, it appears that it has regenerated. Is this normal? I have an angel in the same boat.
imo it is normal for them to eat there first few fry :? sad but it think it is natural, if they spawn again i would try to get the eggs/fry out to another tank asap

Personally, if they're new parents, I'd give them a few spawns to try and learn the ropes of being good parents. It take times to get the hang of things.;)

Well, I was actually refering to the fact that his fins grew back. At least, it appears that way. They were pretty beat up.

With good water conditions and nutrition, fins will grow back if they have been nipped or had fin rot. :) My first angel's fins were in pretty bad shape when i got her, but after a few weeks they were beautiful.

Fish heal pretty quick from non-infected minor fin damage.
One of my mbuna was in a serious fight not too long ago and lost its entire tail fin (caudal fin), not just a chunk. 2 weeks later the tail fin has been completely regenerated.

Are you sure he's actually eating the fry? If one strays from the brood, he may grab one in his mouth and spit it back where it belongs. Or, parents will begin to eat the fry if they overstay their welcome (about 3 weeks). Or, maybe they're just inexperienced, as was mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom