Wondering if these spots are normal or if i should be worried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought an Electric Yellow cichlid about a month ago and immediately noticed he had this little light yellow spot at the base of his anal fin. The spot's been there for about a month now and doesn't seem to be getting bigger or spreading.

I'm not too experienced when it comes to spotting and treating fish diseases so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm following along cause I believe my M. Johannis have the same spot and was also curious about them. Can you post some pics?

Egg spots are normal coloration, a typical courtship and mating cycle of a mbuna starts with a lateral display of the male, to which the female responds; she then lays a clutch of eggs and immediately takes them up into her mouth. The male then presents the egg-spots on the anal fin, the female seemingly nuzzles at these egg-spots and the male releases sperm so that the eggs are fertilized.

These are more common in males but are not a valid way to sex fish since its not uncommon for females to have them as well.

Reactions: HN1
Thank you HUKIT! I will post pics of mine when I get home to make sure that's what you are talking about.

Egg spots are normal coloration, a typical courtship and mating cycle of a mbuna starts with a lateral display of the male, to which the female responds; she then lays a clutch of eggs and immediately takes them up into her mouth. The male then presents the egg-spots on the anal fin, the female seemingly nuzzles at these egg-spots and the male releases sperm so that the eggs are fertilized.

These are more common in males but are not a valid way to sex fish since its not uncommon for females to have them as well.

I'm away from home right now so I can't post any pics right now. I'll send some pics as soon as I can

Completely normal. I know when I first started in this obsession, I freaked out when I saw them, thought I had a disease in my tank. I was running all over town trying to figure out what it was.

Back
Top Bottom