Would Rams be too Rambunctios for Discus??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before everyone says "Heck yeah".... LOL....

I am setting up a 4ft x 2ft tank which I intend to set up as a South American tank. I intend to have Corydoras, Cardinals and Discus in the tank. Would Rams stress out the Discus too much? :?:

I guess what I am asking is, has anyone tried it before and if so was it successful?

And, as an aside, what other tetras would be peaceful enough to put in the tank? Are there certain tetras to stay away from in this situation?

These are great questions. I'm picking up 6 blue rams tonight for my planted 125 gal tank discus tank.

The obvious answer is Rams make good companion fish to discus, but it will depend on the number and size of the discus you keep.

Most schooling tetras also make great tankmates. Schooling fish give the discus a sense of security and they then become less timid. In addition to cardinals you might want to think about rummy nose tetras, serpaes and even rasbora.

Here's a little tip to get started. Put your companion fish in the tank first and let them acclimate before stocking with discus. The discus will be less stressed if they are the last addition to the tank.

Avoid Beuros Aires tetras. Very active, somewhat territorial, and large. They're like the 'oscars' of tetras. LFS will tell you they hit 2.25in, but they usually hit 3.5in. They will nip fins when hungry and constantly swim about like zebra danios. They're aggressive eaters and usually I had to add extra flake for other fish at one end of the tank after luring the BAs to the other side, cause otherwise they ate it all.

Thanks for your help.

When I asked about the agression and activity of Rams at the LFS the ladies (both on seperate occasions) said, "They are cichlids" as if to say they were very fiesty... I almost said' "Duh, and so are Discus"

Anyway I won't buy from there as lots of what they said was incorrect re: whater hardness, pH etc.

Well, I won't say "heck yeah!" :clown: or "heck no!" :shocked!:

:D But I will say "Welcome to the site!" :D Hope you stick around!

Back
Top Bottom