Would this be possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicola28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a Tropheus Duboisi currently in our regular tank and waiting to be moved to a cichlid only tank. I've seen a beautiful neon blue Jack Dempsey and was wondering if the two breeds of cichlid would be compatible? Thanks.

I can tell you now you are going to be told not to mix African cichlids with new world Cichlids.

The duboisi wants really hard water , while the jack I think like softer more neutral.
I don't know about Jacks ,but the duboisi was the meanest Tanganyikan I had in a whole tank of tangs.. In a 135g I wish I had never added him. Constant pest to other fish?
Their diets are different also with Duboisi being a heavy vegetable eater,while I believe the Jack is a more a omnivore that needs meat in their diet..Many of the African cichlids can get bloat from a meat heavy diet or not proper diet..They don't always eat what they are supposed to if other foods are offered . This can lead to health issues for the Duboisi.
Most don't mix cichlids due to differences but it has rarely been done with success.

The duboisi wants really hard water , while the jack I think like softer more neutral.
I don't know about Jacks ,but the duboisi was the meanest Tanganyikan I had in a whole tank of tangs.. In a 135g I wish I had never added him. Constant pest to other fish?
Their diets are different also with Duboisi being a heavy vegetable eater,while I believe the Jack is a more a omnivore that needs meat in their diet..Many of the African cichlids can get bloat from a meat heavy diet or not proper diet..They don't always eat what they are supposed to if other foods are offered . This can lead to health issues for the Duboisi.
Most don't mix cichlids due to differences but it has rarely been done with success.
Thank you for your answer. Have you any suggestions of what we could mix with the Duboisi? At the minute he's in a tank, which was left in the house we moved into, with regular tropical fish. He's still youngish so why I think he's not causing trouble. But we're hoping to move him into a larger tank and with more suitable tank mates.

Julidochromis make great tank mates for dubosi. There are several different types.
I would only stock other tangs with the dubosi for best results..
Neolamprologus cylindricus and lelupi are colorful appropriate tank mates also.
Shell dwellers like Neolampologus multifasciatus and Neolamprologus brevis/occelatus are pretty cool. Many like Neolampologus brichardi also .
All fish listed are Tanganyikans I have kept together with years of success..

Julidochromis make great tank mates for dubosi. There are several different types.
I would only stock other tangs with the dubosi for best results..
Neolamprologus cylindricus and lelupi are colorful appropriate tank mates also.
Shell dwellers like Neolampologus multifasciatus and Neolamprologus brevis/occelatus are pretty cool. Many like Neolampologus brichardi also .
All fish listed are Tanganyikans I have kept together with years of success..
Brilliant. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom