Xtreme food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stang23456 said:
Anyone know anything about xtreme pellets ?

I've seen them around. It's junk based on everything I've read about fish nutrition. Poor protein sources and lots of filler.

Junk??? Not sure I'd call it junk. The first four ingredients in cichlid formula: krill mill, fish meal, herring meal, shrimp meal. Protein-38%, fat-5%, fiber-6%. New life spectrum cichlid formula:whole krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour algae meal. Protein-34%, fat-5%, fiber-5%. Is whole meal supposed to be something different than regular meal? Maybe I'm wrong but seems like meal is meal. You decide!

Oh snap! Swiimmingwiththefish calls out NLS on his/her first post! Haha that's great. Everyone on here is a NLS lover. I switch to it to give it a try, because my fish never grow much! I haven't ever heard of Xtreme fish food, but if the ingredients look good, then feed it.

Swimmingwiththefish said:
Junk??? Not sure I'd call it junk. The first four ingredients in cichlid formula: krill mill, fish meal, herring meal, shrimp meal. Protein-38%, fat-5%, fiber-6%. New life spectrum cichlid formula:whole krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour algae meal. Protein-34%, fat-5%, fiber-5%. Is whole meal supposed to be something different than regular meal? Maybe I'm wrong but seems like meal is meal. You decide!

It's junk. You can't judge the merits of fish food based on percentages, because it's all about content, not quantity. Look deeper into the ingredients and you'll find all the notorious junk and filler content like a bunch of different grains and salts.

Lastly, There is a big difference between whole and non-whole krill meal.

NYgiantsRP said:
Oh snap! Swiimmingwiththefish calls out NLS on his/her first post! Haha that's great. Everyone on here is a NLS lover. I switch to it to give it a try, because my fish never grow much! I haven't ever heard of Xtreme fish food, but if the ingredients look good, then feed it.

It's ok, everyone makes mistakes. :)

I don't have the time to look up a full ingredients list ATM but I bet that extra 4% of protein Xtreme has in it is all fillers.

Is whole meal supposed to be something different than regular meal? Maybe I'm wrong but seems like meal is meal!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice,

OK now I'll bite, why yes there is HUGE difference from meal to whole meal, fish meal consists primarily and potentially exclusively of scales, skins, and bones where as whole meal utilizes the entire fish not simply the left over bi-products from other industries; remember what old old saying about what hotdogs were made from(lips and butts) same applies here.

This food also uses 3 different types of wheat, the ingredient list follows a practice known as product splitting, with three different wheat products listed. When combined, wheat may very well be the primary ingredient. Which is by no means the building block of a quality product.

The last point I'll make is the ash content, ash comes from bones and shells, the percentage of ash at 10% or higher usually indicates left over white fish, shrimp or loster heads are used rather than the entire fish again. Since the fish food market is self regulated you'll even see some brands leave the ash content off since they're not bound by any laws; if you see this its not fit to feed any living creature.

Conclusion, a higher priced, slightly better food when compared to all other low end foods like Tetra, Aqueon, and Wardleys; and its Xtreme! While I don't think its junk per se but I'd skip it and buy New Life Spectrum.

Last edited:
When hukit and 5x5 say something it's the truth. They are very smart guys and can help you a lot. Welcome to the site.

I have to admit when I first came to this sight I thought all these nls people were crazy and thought food is food. One day I decided to try it and I can honestly say I won't go back. My fish are way more colorful and energetic and I never get any swollen bodies plus the waste levels seem way lower.

I'm sort of a health nut so naturally this carries over into other parts of my life, I spend a substantial amount of time with ensuring proper nutrition for my family, dogs, cat, fish, and myself.

Exactly the reason why I don't buy commercial dog food. No matter the brand. They are loaded with cereals. Definitely not species appropriate. Same with fish. I am not positive but I cannot think of anywhere along the food chain where fish would eat grains!

Back
Top Bottom