Yard Sale 37g Bow Front Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
im gonna assume most of you have seen my thread "Best Day Ever" because it has over 200 views lol and now that ive already scrubbed the living crap out of everything and its cycling i want to start my build, i want a natural tank, maybe some drift wood, some tall fake plants, maybe rocks and drift wood..? idk yet, ill be stocking it with firemouths i want a pair or a single male in there. what do you guys think i should do with the scape..? :blink:

im gonna assume most of you have seen my thread "Best Day Ever" because it has over 200 views lol and now that ive already scrubbed the living crap out of everything and its cycling i want to start my build, i want a natural tank, maybe some drift wood, some tall fake plants, maybe rocks and drift wood..? idk yet, ill be stocking it with firemouths i want a pair or a single male in there. what do you guys think i should do with the scape..? :blink:

I think a tall piece of drift wood with some hardy plants and a sand bottom would be good. Mabye have some large river rocks to give it more to look ay

I think a tall piece of drift wood with some hardy plants and a sand bottom would be good. Mabye have some large river rocks to give it more to look ay

i was thinking since its a bow front, maybe some rocks and plants up the sides and a trunk or root system looking drift wood in the middle?

Yeah, that will work, it was just that the red lava rock is unnatural in most south american rivers and I believe may bump up the pH

This is the kind of rock I have in my 36 bowfront with 2 kribs, 2 GBRs, 2 gold gouramis, and a featherfin catfish. The plants are java ferns and amazon sword.

img_2563514_0_9b22168d1ef286d36b8ad69b6d780908.jpg

img_2563514_1_0b3ba57113a78ed6f31e564e84a624d4.jpg

img_2563514_2_785cab3356a18260151795394e630f40.jpg

img_2563514_3_da83f5a52f734c106db52bf53079191a.jpg

This is the kind of rock I have in my 36 bowfront with 2 kribs, 2 GBRs, 2 gold gouramis, and a featherfin catfish. The plants are java ferns and amazon sword.

That's a sweet tank penguin, I want maybe a false drift wood piece and rocks around it but not to many hiding places i like to see my fish not having to search for it in the tank when I have company and say oh he's in there somewhere lol

Just load it up with driftwood and call it a tank! I think some good sized driftwood pieces and good tall fake plants should make it look great.

Just load it up with driftwood and call it a tank! I think some good sized driftwood pieces and good tall fake plants should make it look great.

ive been meaning to ask you whats the process to using drift wood, do i have to soak? how long? and cleaning? any wood i should steer away from..? and im gonna get the 18" plants today or tomorrow from petsmart, and ive been meaning to ask you too, how do i better anchor those plants in sand substrate..?

ive been meaning to ask you whats the process to using drift wood, do i have to soak? how long? and cleaning? any wood i should steer away from..? and im gonna get the 18" plants today or tomorrow from petsmart, and ive been meaning to ask you too, how do i better anchor those plants in sand substrate..?

Depending on the piece you can try to boil it. If its from a lake or river you are gonna want to boil it to kill anything of it. If its just from outside a good spraying with the hose and scrub with a brush should work. It may leak tannins and if you find this unattractive you may need to keep boiling it till the water is clear at the end. If its big I've heard getting a trash can and dumping the boiling water over the wood in a trash can. I got a good piece from outside and just scrubbed it put it in the tank and it made my water really dark. I added purigen to the tank and did water changes. The purigen didn't tank any out but it at least prevented it from getting worse. So after a few changes the water is clear. As far as woods to stay clear of would be anything soft or sap filled. The plants should sit fine in the sand, ime its easier to get them to stay in sand than gravel. if you are gonna add some fish that like do dig just lay some rocks near the bottom of the plant.

Depending on the piece you can try to boil it. If its from a lake or river you are gonna want to boil it to kill anything of it. If its just from outside a good spraying with the hose and scrub with a brush should work. It may leak tannins and if you find this unattractive you may need to keep boiling it till the water is clear at the end. If its big I've heard getting a trash can and dumping the boiling water over the wood in a trash can. I got a good piece from outside and just scrubbed it put it in the tank and it made my water really dark. I added purigen to the tank and did water changes. The purigen didn't tank any out but it at least prevented it from getting worse. So after a few changes the water is clear. As far as woods to stay clear of would be anything soft or sap filled. The plants should sit fine in the sand, ime its easier to get them to stay in sand than gravel. if you are gonna add some fish that like do dig just lay some rocks near the bottom of the plant.

do all driftwoods change water color? and im getting firemouths or green texas cichlids, should i still put rocks around the plants..?

As long as you're doing your water changes regularly, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Remember that many South American fish live in tea colored water that is stained that way from wood, leaves, etc.

The only time my tank has an issue with tannins (two massive pieces of driftwood in a 75) is when I slack on my water changes

Back
Top Bottom