Yellow Lab Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off, it is frustratingly difficult to find information about yellow lab behaviors, esp breeding. Searches reveal youtube videos of the actual spawning and not behavior beforehand, and those cliche sales pages that say random wrong info like "they aren't territorial and can be kept with community fish." Anyway.
I noticed my bright male yellow lab acting odd tonight, and was too dumbfounded like -->o_O<-- to grab my camera for a picture. He was coming to the front of the tank, opening his mouth like he was puking (or shouting, wait for it), then he'd sort of shimmy backward and turn, rince and repeat. First thought is he's talking trash because he knows I'm out there and I'm the feeder (hence my shouting comment lulz). Then I thought "snap, maybe he's displaying for the female in the tank? Or maybe he's dying =0. I wonder about displaying because the female would do something similar but more inverted and it looked like her vent was swollen. Not like the chest of that poor guy from "Aliens"or anything tho. The male would periodically chase away my red zebra and zebra/lab hybrid, then chase her a bit.
They've stopped now but does anyone know what was up? More specifically, how do labs act BEFORE spawning starts?
Lastly, does bearding seem to indicate a desire to breed? My other male is getting his Gerard butler on with a five o'clock shadow. Yeah, I know ratio is bad, I'm rehoming my second male friday.
Sorry for long post

derail said:
First off, it is frustratingly difficult to find information about yellow lab behaviors, esp breeding. Searches reveal youtube videos of the actual spawning and not behavior beforehand, and those cliche sales pages that say random wrong info like "they aren't territorial and can be kept with community fish." Anyway.
I noticed my bright male yellow lab acting odd tonight, and was too dumbfounded like -->o_O<-- to grab my camera for a picture. He was coming to the front of the tank, opening his mouth like he was puking (or shouting, wait for it), then he'd sort of shimmy backward and turn, rince and repeat. First thought is he's talking trash because he knows I'm out there and I'm the feeder (hence my shouting comment lulz). Then I thought "snap, maybe he's displaying for the female in the tank? Or maybe he's dying =0. I wonder about displaying because the female would do something similar but more inverted and it looked like her vent was swollen. Not like the chest of that poor guy from "Aliens"or anything tho. The male would periodically chase away my red zebra and zebra/lab hybrid, then chase her a bit.
They've stopped now but does anyone know what was up? More specifically, how do labs act BEFORE spawning starts?
Lastly, does bearding seem to indicate a desire to breed? My other male is getting his Gerard butler on with a five o'clock shadow. Yeah, I know ratio is bad, I'm rehoming my second male friday.
Sorry for long post

In my experience bearing means that the fish is stressed usually because he is not the boss and is being bullied.I would definately take him back and just keep the other male.
It is possible to keep more than 1 male with a group of females but depends on the individual fish.Some will get on and some won't.

I had no idea bearding was a result of being submissive. Thanks for that info, I'll try to return him tomorrow and see if I can get my lfs (same guy I bought the yellow from) to let me trade it for a female. Any idea about the trash talking bold yellow?

derail said:
I had no idea bearding was a result of being submissive. Thanks for that info, I'll try to return him tomorrow and see if I can get my lfs (same guy I bought the yellow from) to let me trade it for a female. Any idea about the trash talking bold yellow?

What with you saying that the females vent is swollen and all and the shimmying it sounds like breeding behaviour to me.If you think about it individual humans have different techniques to wooing the other sex so why not fish.It stands to reason that they may take a slightly different approach from one another.

On a side note, since I've vented these two fish to find gender (actually vented them all, and it's really hard on young adult fish). I have a concern here--I've been informed that identification based off the "Egg Spots" on the anal fins of yellows is not an effective method because due ot selective breeding, females and males have these. If my female doesn't have these, is it safe to assume daughters of her broods will not as well? I'd like an easier way to identify males and females rather than stressing them so much by netting and venting.

Back
Top Bottom