Yellow Lab Bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well after days of searching and yet another new discovery of a missing fish I am in the process on trying to capture my large yellow lab. I noticed this morning that one of my red zebras was missing and the other was beat up pretty bad(pictured below). I've watch my yellow lab harass them both and only them. So I decided to set up a penalty box, a 10g tank :) well while pulling water from my 55 to put in the 10 I dropped my air line behind the tank for the sump. So as I am looking for it I see something under my stand. Grab my phone and use the flashlight and low and freakin behold.......there's my missing red zebra and my Acei that's been missing for a month :( Well they've been buried properly (flushed) lol and now the red zebra is in a quarantine tank hopefully getting better. Through all this I've also notice that my giant danio is missing too. Any ideas how to capture a fish in a rocky tank?

Below is the bully and the bullied :(

Duddits said:
Ugh I don't wanna do that. I'll have to play fisherman and catch him someone

Lol what you could try is putting the net in the tank prior to catching him and then when it's feeding time he will come up for his food and you make a move on him hopefully netting him.

Wow. My Labs are almost always on the receiving end of any aggression. You must have one tough and ticked off Lab. Is it holding, by chance?

So far as netting it out; remove your large decor and chase with a net. It will give you a chance to vacuum accumulated debris from under that decor anyway, and perhaps to rearrange everything to encourage the fish to find new territories.

Do a search for "Soda Bottle Trap" and throw an algae wafer or something in the trap and you will have a trapped lab in under 10 minutes. Even if it looks too big to fit in, they will squeeze in. I like using a 2 liter bottle for the task (more space = less stress) and I seem to catch everything that can fit through the opening in it.

Ovid said:
Do a search for "Soda Bottle Trap" and throw an algae wafer or something in the trap and you will have a trapped lab in under 10 minutes. Even if it looks too big to fit in, they will squeeze in. I like using a 2 liter bottle for the task (more space = less stress) and I seem to catch everything that can fit through the opening in it.

Good idea. I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion

You may find that the Zebra will now be the aggressor. Put the lab in and add more lab females. Change the decor around as well. OR take the lab to the pet store, it is not ok to keep a lab in a 10 gallon tank.

Jmedic25 said:
You may find that the Zebra will now be the aggressor. Put the lab in and add more lab females. Change the decor around as well. OR take the lab to the pet store, it is not ok to keep a lab in a 10 gallon tank.

I agree. He's only in the 10g until I set up my 125. Then he'll go in there with other labs and a mix of cichlids.

You could also try increasing your stock level. Overcrowding helped aggression in my tank. As long as you have strong enough filtration

Back
Top Bottom