yellow lab cichlid compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a pretty large (4-5 inch) yellow lab cichlid in a 30 gallon tank, by itself. Ive had it for a couple of years.

Is there a fish I could add that wouldn't get killed by the lab?...how about another one or two of the same?

Thanks.

I looked into some fish compatibility charts and databases, and they also listed the following for yellow labs:

Auratus
Cobalt Blue Zebra
Electric Blue Ahli
Zebra Cichlid
Featherfin Squeaker
Blue Dolphin
Leleupi
Elongatus
Flameback

Do any of these sound right to you?

The auratus is not a good choice. They are very aggressive. If you do get one, a female would be better than a male. And even then, it's hit or miss on getting one that isn't as aggressive. I wouldn't chance it.

The Cobalt would be a good choice.

The Ahli will be aggressive towards smaller fish. He will grow to about 8 inches. I wouldn't chance it.

The Cobalt Blue is a Zebra Cichlid.

The Featherfin Squeaker also is a good choice, but they need VERY good water conditions. They are sensitive to Nitrates. They also prefer to be in schools.

The Blue Dolphin will also be aggressive towards smaller fish and will grow to about 9 inches. Another one that I wouldn't chance.

The Leleupi is ideal in a Lake Tanganyika tank, not a Malawi tank. But it could be an option.

I do not have any experience with the Elongatus but I have read online that they are highly aggressive. Maybe someone else can chime in one this one.

I don't have any experience with the Flameback. It is a gorgeous fish, but I can't comment on the compatibility with Yellow Labs.

I hope this helped.

Back
Top Bottom