Yellow Lab Holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmamc91

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 2/2.5inch yellow lab female, seems to be holding, under her mouth seems saggy etc, constantly hidden inside a certain rock, not eating... All the symptoms..

My question is she's been hiding for a while so I don't know how long she's been holding, so I don't want to try and strip, only for it to be too early.. As its my first time..

Also, if I was to leave her to spit naturally, would they survive? I do have a lot of rockwork, but I have quite a pain in the backside of an auratus that bothers everything when he feels like, would the fry find a safe gap in the rocks? Or be naive enough to wonder out and down the auratus' throat?

Any help would be great... Thanks

Emma ;)

You'd be surprised how smart fry can be, they are little survivalists. Id say heavily plant with dense fake plants for maximum chances.
Bear in mind, if its her first brood, she may not hold to term.

Here's some pics...

Attachments

• image-2692547900.jpg
    image-2692547900.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-899701989.jpg
    image-899701989.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1811767674.jpg
    image-1811767674.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 98
She seems to be coming out more all of a sudden, as though looking for somewhere to spit, had an episode of trying to dig.. Is there anything you'd recommend, or shall I just leave her be? x

I'd say keep an eye out for her taking small pieces of food to eat... When that happens you can strip. They usually hold about 31 days

It's almost asif I can see them moving in her mouth, in the pouch... She keeps doing a strange gulpy type movement asif she's stopping them from swimming out... Got nowhere to put them if I stripped them now though :/

I strip as soon as I see heads and tails ;) all mine have been fine! The gulping is her tumbling the eggs/fry :)

Also I think I read somewhere you can strip at 20 days and they should be ok. My main producer holds about 36 days... But yea, usually I can see heads and tails when she opens her mouth a little and that's when I go ahead n strip her.

emmamc91 said:
It's almost asif I can see them moving in her mouth, in the pouch... She keeps doing a strange gulpy type movement asif she's stopping them from swimming out... Got nowhere to put them if I stripped them now though :/

If you want to strip her and don't have a breeder net, you can use some Tupperware. Get a good sized piece and drill small holes all over it then stretch some pantyhose over it. You can keep the lid on it and just float it in the tank. Good luck!

christine2012 said:
If you want to strip her and don't have a breeder net, you can use some Tupperware. Get a good sized piece and drill small holes all over it then stretch some pantyhose over it. You can keep the lid on it and just float it in the tank. Good luck!

Great idea!!!

It works really well. The trick is to make LOTS of SMALL (as small as possible ) holes. If the holes are too big the adults can smash them through the net then suck them through.

Looks like we have 14 babies :) just hope they're not too small, can see eyes and tails.. Just floated the pot in the top of the tank... Will that be okay?x

Attachments

• image-331523244.jpg
    image-331523244.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image-19321356.jpg
    image-19321356.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2540965403.jpg
    image-2540965403.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2036740399.jpg
    image-2036740399.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 66
They are quite young BUT if you keep an eye on them you will be fine. Water movement in the container is going to be key.... think of mom jostling her jaw.. you need to stimulate that. They still have parts of the sack on so they have food. Clean water and movement!

Back
Top Bottom