"Yellow Lab" not so yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have 4 "yellow Labs" the two that i believe to be female are very bright yellow... the other two i believe to be male... the big one is kind of yellow, has white on his face and gray bars...

the smaller male is almost a yellow/green and has more distinct bars...

here are some pics..they look more yellow in the pics then they do in real life though... :roll:

In this one you can see the larger male at the top and the smaller male at the bottom
img_743407_0_58ed99cf4188fb944b7b1f16021da7ed.jpg

In this one you can see the large male
img_743407_1_2396b62045005129623b36404ebcac2d.jpg

Big male again...
img_743407_2_baabfd85d55947eff60c3d94da892b21.jpg

so do you think it is possible they are just lower quality individuals or is it possible i was sold some type of hybrid? :oops:

They're not apparent hybrids. Based on how they look in the photo's, I'd say they're of average quality (based on what's usually found in my area).

How long have you had them and what do you feed them?

You may observe some improvements in color if you try feeding New Life Spectrum for a few weeks.

kay-bee19 said:
They're not apparent hybrids. Based on how they look in the photo's, I'd say they're of average quality (based on what's usually found in my area).

How long have you had them and what do you feed them?

You may observe some improvements in color if you try feeding New Life Spectrum for a few weeks.
i do feed NLS :?

as well as peas, corn, spirulina pellets, Freeze dried Krill and Tetra Cichlid Bites...

the big male i have had since early october, the smaller male i have had since the wednesday before thanksgiving...

They may be several generations along. I find that when they are bred and bred over and over they lose some color. They aren't a bad quality IMO, they have a lot more color than some I've seen. :)

Zagz said:
They may be several generations along. I find that when they are bred and bred over and over they lose some color. They aren't a bad quality IMO, they have a lot more color than some I've seen. :)
they look alot more colorful in those pic then they realy are

Keep with the NLS and they may very well color up a lot. Keep us updated, I'm very interested in seeing if they get more color from the NLS.

Yellows have been "cross bred" for years to enhance specific characters or looks.
Then they are "line bred" in an attempt to remove obvious evidence of the initial cross breeding.

The chances they are NOT hybrid are slim, yet I would say yours are still some decent yellows. Maybe not the greatest but still pretty good to what I have seen.

DeFeKt said:
Yellows have been "cross bred" for years to enhance specific characters or looks.
Then they are "line bred" in an attempt to remove obvious evidence of the initial cross breeding.

The chances they are NOT hybrid are slim, yet I would say yours are still some decent yellows. Maybe not the greatest but still pretty good to what I have seen.
really, i wish i could get a good picture to really show the coloring and stripes better... the young male in particular is only about 1/3 as yellow as the pictures make him look and has a definite Greenish-ting...

johnp said:
From the pictures they look more like this species of Labidochromis caeruleus (Lion's Cove II)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1665

characterized by a white edge on the dorsal fin and a white belly (as stated in the profile). :D

If they are indeed Lions cove II Yellow Labs then they look very heathly!!

Johnp
i think you are right, they do have the white edge to there fins... is this sub-species more rare then "normal" labs?

Back
Top Bottom