Yellow Lab Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I purchased 2 Yellow Labs, 2 Acei, and 1 Female Kenyi from Petsmart to begin repopulating my tank after an ammonia spike decimated my malawi tank last month. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things having to be "just right" and after I put the little guys in the tank, I noticed the Yellow Labs have barring - quite significant barring for a Yellow Lab - I've seen some male Kenyi that don't have the this much barring. I didn't notice it in the store.
I've been doing some reading, and all I've learned is there is a lot of conflicting information. I've read some that say it's a result of excessive breeding and that they're low quality. Different strains. Stress. Barring that disappears with maturation.
I guess I just want the "perfect tank" and something this petty is bothering me way to much. Help me put my crazy mind to rest. Lol

I did have a yellow lab cross with another mbuna before that looked very similar to that, although the bars were much darker.

The 2 Acei died. I'm not having much luck with the aquarium deal. I'm getting discouraged because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Ammonia is between 0-0.25, but it isn't greater than 0.25. I've had an upside down catfish in the tank basically alone for the past month.

Is the tank cycled? What size tank? What are you using for filtration? Sounds like you might have had a spike due to adding more fish and thus a larger bio load.

My yellow lab get thos bars your talking about there not too dark tho and he gets a black face like a beard wen in excite mode.

The tank is cycled. It's been running since June. Filtration is the Aqueon 55/75 power filter that came with it. It's weird that the Acei died within 24 hrs of each other.

Sorry to hear about your loss with your new aquisitions.

A couple of things could be going on with your tank. A couple of questions for you.

(1) If you vacuum the substrate, are you doing the whole bottom at one time or are you doing half of it per week? If you are doing the entire substrate at one time, that could cause you a problem with your bio-system.

(2) When you change out your filter media, are you replacing everything at one time or do you first change out the sponge or floss and then wait a week and change out the carbon? If you are cleaning the filter and also change out all of the media, that will cause you to have an ammonia spike.

There are a couple of things that I have learned over the last 20+ years of keeping fish, whether it be a reef tank, Amazon tank, or a African Cichlid tank.

If I quit being so anal about the water parameters of the tank and just let it be, everything seems to thrive. Other than my typical waterchanges, I very rarely vacuum the substrate. If I do, it's just to remove the detritus that has accumulated on the top. And I don't mess with the water parameters of my tapwater. I just let everything be what it will be. Consistency is more important than constantly adjusting the parameters to suit what is recommended for the given fish one has in their tank. Unless you are keeping wild caught fish, most of the fish that you will buy at a local fish store have been captive raised for many generations. Their filtration system, such as Pet Smart, is a centralized system for all of their freshwater tanks. They don't worry about exacting parameters. The Amazonian fish will be in water with the same parameters as African Cichlids.

Try not to get discouraged. Ther was a time when I couldn't keep Angel fish and neons alive. I stayed away from them for awhile and eventually gave it another try. Once I did come back to them, I didn't have any problems with them and I still have them to this day.

I had a reef tank setup at one time. Once I had to move it to the basement to make room upstairs. It eventually became an, out of site, out of mind tank. For a year, I rarely messed with it. Not only did everything survive, but it thrived. I had an anemone in there that was about 4 inches in diameter when I put it in the tank and a year later, while it was setup in the basement, it grew to the size of a basketball. I traded it in at That Pet Place in Lancaster, Pa and for the next couple of years of going there, the people in the fishroom knew me because of that Anemone. They said that it was the largest tank raised Anemone that they had ever seen.

I appreciate your encouragement. I love African cichlids, and I desperately want to succeed. To answer a couple of your questions: I skim the gravel surface to pick up debris, but not extensively enough to destroy the BB. In fact, I haven't vacuumed in 1 1/2 months because I've been letting the BB rebound after I used Tetra Algae Control that killed my BB. I don't touch my filter, except to replace the filter cartridges every month.
I'm thinking that because it was the two Acei, it must be them. The other new additions are doing fine so far, as well as the ones that survived.
Also, I think the barring was stress related. Today they're a rich yellow. When I put the net in the tank to scoop out the dead Acei you could see the barring coming back.

Vacuuming the gravel, even aggressively will not destroy the BB. They are actually pretty robust. Your .25 ppm ammonia is not normal. I will ask again, What are using for filtration? How long has the tank been cycled? You are going to have to build up your BB possibly to process the increases bioload due to having more fish. Folks that expect to have large populations of African Cichlids will cycle a tank to handle large bioloads (for a fishless cycle- able to process 4 ppm ammonia within 24 hours). Did you do a fish-in or fishless cycle?

Also, the flow rate if your filter should be 6- 10 times your tank volume.

Do not change your filter cartridges every month! Just rinse them out in tank water and put them back in. Changing them out like that is making your tank cycle again. If you do have to change the filter media, leave the old media in with the new media for a week or so. This way the bb can colonize the new media.

Back
Top Bottom