Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'd take a chance like fishy^^^ was getting at if not option 4 lol. You'll need to keep a close eye on it and make sure it not chasing or nipping if so you'll need to get it out and fast.

We can send him to you if you want to pay for shipping. We really don't want to rush setting up a tank and he would be alone for a long time before we would add anymore fish to the tank... So rehoming may be the kinder option...

We found a 55gal set up on CL for $125, the guy will be delivering it tomorrow for $80 (stand needs some work to it). So, we'll be getting that set up and repaired this weekend, cycling it, and moving the lab over.

KryptiCouple said:
We found a 55gal set up on CL for $125, the guy will be delivering it tomorrow for $80 (stand needs some work to it). So, we'll be getting that set up and repaired this weekend, cycling it, and moving the lab over.

Nice :). I'm glad your gonna go with a cichlid tank! I think I remember reading you have 2 filters running now right? If so, once it's set up, since you just have the one lab I'd say put him in there right away and buy some more fish at the same time too. Your filter is established and it needs ammonia to stay alive. In a tank 55 gallons, when you put that fish in put some more in at the same time. Don't forget to take pics, we love pics ;)

KryptiCouple said:
We can send him to you if you want to pay for shipping. We really don't want to rush setting up a tank and he would be alone for a long time before we would add anymore fish to the tank... So rehoming may be the kinder option...

I was really joking Haha but I see you solved the problem :)
Why would you wait to add more fish? It's recommended to stock all at one or in big groups because of aggression. If you do big groups every time you are going to stock a group your going to need to move everything around in the tank. So I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make it look real good.

When it comes to filters you are going to need to way over filter more than what is normally recommended for other type of fish.

Andrew McFadden said:
I was really joking Haha but I see you solved the problem :)
Why would you wait to add more fish? It's recommended to stock all at one or in big groups because of aggression. If you do big groups every time you are going to stock a group your going to need to move everything around in the tank. So I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make it look real good.

When it comes to filters you are going to need to way over filter more than what is normally recommended for other type of fish.

I think the being alone part was if they put it in the 10 gallon until a bigger tank ;)

But like Andy said, stock all at once. :)

We overfilter our tanks anyway. We LOVE having clean, clear water. Our 65gal currently runs 120gal worth of filter. Do you guys know of any good places to get fish? I know you can generally get them cheaper online, but I don't want to order from the puppy-mill version of a Cichlid breeder. And if we're going to need to stock a decent amount at once, it would probably be cheaper to buy in bulk, right?

KryptiCouple said:
We overfilter our tanks anyway. We LOVE having clean, clear water. Our 65gal currently runs 120gal worth of filter. Do you guys know of any good places to get fish? I know you can generally get them cheaper online, but I don't want to order from the puppy-mill version of a Cichlid breeder. And if we're going to need to stock a decent amount at once, it would probably be cheaper to buy in bulk, right?

I use
WWW.livefishdirect.com
Never had a doa on maybe 5 orders totaling 35 Cichlids. Some are cheaper in stores but you have a better variety online.

Ok, and just to not run into issues again, since he is a Malawi cichlid (correct?) he can only go with other Malawian? And since they have 3 types of Malawian on that site are all OK to mix, or do we need to avoid a certain type?

KryptiCouple said:
Ok, and just to not run into issues again, since he is a Malawi cichlid (correct?) he can only go with other Malawian? And since they have 3 types of Malawian on that site are all OK to mix, or do we need to avoid a certain type?

Try to stick with mbuna witch is what your electric yellow is. Mbunas are more aggressive then peacocks and most haps get really big. Just make sure you look up the cichlids profile before buying to see its size and aggression levels. Or post them here and I/we can tell you if they can go together. If it was me I'd try and stay with fish that are under 5". I have a lot of their fish so I can tell you if its a good fish quality or whatever. The geberi I thing that's how you spell it is listed as mild aggressive but its more aggressive. So it would be good to ask then just search profiles ;)

Ok, and for a 55gal what is a good range of fish to stay in as far as numbers? Don't want to overstock and have this all be for nothing...

And one final question (for now). They have the "assorted" option. If we were to choose that option and tell them we have a yellow lab already, would they be pretty good at matching up with him or would we be better off just picking our own?

KryptiCouple said:
Ok, and for a 55gal what is a good range of fish to stay in as far as numbers? Don't want to overstock and have this all be for nothing...

And one final question (for now). They have the "assorted" option. If we were to choose that option and tell them we have a yellow lab already, would they be pretty good at matching up with him or would we be better off just picking our own?

18- 25 is what I would aim for and as long as your water quality will allow there really isn't a such thing as over stocking them. They need to be over stocked to calm their aggression down.

I really have no clue because I like to pick out my own fish so I'm not sure how they do that. I think its better to do it yourself so you know what your getting.

KryptiCouple said:

With cichlids it IS best/common to overstock. It's a method we use to help cut down on aggression. Some people don't buy most do and the end results are a gorgeous tank! So far, I got all my fish from Petsmart. I got 28 and total came to $100 or less but they were on sale with my "store" card. I asked the guy there if all the cichlids could be housed together, knowing the answer was a no but he said yes. I knew he was wrong so I wrote them down and did my research before I went back. I still want a few more I'll have to get online because my LFS stores don't sell them so I'll have to do a thread on here later when I want to buy for compatability. But you have a lab so stick with the mbuna species. Most online retailers have selection bars for you to narrow it down :)

Andrew McFadden said:
By the way a lab is considered to be mild aggressive

+1 in the mbuna world labs are the peaceful ones so if you think he's bad stay clear of bumblebees auratus and johannis lol

+1 in the mbuna world labs are the peaceful ones so if you think he's bad stay clear of bumblebees auratus and johannis lol

Haha it's not that we're scared of "aggressive" we were just told this guy was peaceful and would work in our tank, not that he was the shy one OF the aggressive type. We'll be working on our list tonight when the fiance gets home and will run it by you guys. And I don't mind "overstocking" but I don't want to overdo it to where there is no room for anyone to move. We'll start our thread later.

Also, since we are trying to do tank set up on a budget as we weren't intending on setting up another tank right away, any suggestions to cut costs on decor/substrate?

I would use sand. You can get black blasting sand at tractor supply for pretty cheap, and you could also use play sand at $7.00 for a 50 pound bag. Just make sure you rinse it really well. For the rock I went to a rock and garden shop and got 90 pounds of rock for 9 dollars. If you have any streams near you, you can just get your own for free. You are going to want to have a lot of places for the fish to hide.

I would use sand. You can get black blasting sand at tractor supply for pretty cheap, and you could also use play sand at $7.00 for a 50 pound bag. Just make sure you rinse it really well. For the rock I went to a rock and garden shop and got 90 pounds of rock for 9 dollars. If you have any streams near you, you can just get your own for free. You are going to want to have a lot of places for the fish to hide.

Awesome! I didn't know blasting sand came in black and that's the color Keith would prefer to use. We know all washing pretty well. I've called a few local garden supply centers at the recommendation of cichlid-forum and got tons of "um.... are you sure you can use this" comments lol

It depends on the rock they have. The rock and garden shop I went to had a ton of different rock. Some rock could raise the PH level in your tank, but if you are keeping Mbuna they like a high PH anyway. One way you could tell is put a few drops of vinegar on the rock and if it starts to fizzle it will raise your PH. You have to make sure you clean the rock really well. I soaked my rock in a mild solution of bleach for 24 hours then took them out and scrubbed them really well, and let them soak in water for a couple of days. Just change the water out daily to keep it fresh. Some people even boil their rocks. I never did, I was always to nervous they would have air pockets in them and explode.

I asked the one guy what type of rock they had, and they said sandstone and limestone which I've heard are OK for Cichlid tanks? Also, flagstone. Anyone know anything about that?

Back
Top Bottom