zebras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isiah1820

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 zebras one blue the other red they seem to be after each other and neither will give in. Is there any thing I can do to help this they go after the other tank mates but the know they are the 2 dominate, should I add more males or females, or remove one of them.

Ps the red zebra use to be the bullied now all of a sudden he's a bully just funny and amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What size tank do you have and what's the stock?
Can you upload a picture of how the tank is set up?
Do you have enough hiding spots?

Something isn't right, if I remember right you have been having aggression problems for awhile now. Till you can answer the above question I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you.

Other than that it probably has something that's due to one of the questions I posted above. If not its not a good mix of Cichlids together and at some point they are going to kill each other and possibly all the others. It sounds to me like they are fighting for dominance.

I wouldn't say aggreesion problems, the 2 I'm talking about are the problem and they rarely full on fight. The rest of the tank is fine, yea they chase each other from time to time but there cichlids.

But its a 55, up grading soon as needed. And stock spelling might be off, I am new to fish keeping 2 zebras, 1 lab, 1 female kenyi, 1 ob peacock, 2 acei yellow/white tail,1 johanni, 2 bees, 1 demasoni, 1 arturus and 2 snails lol had this stock for 6-7 months

I did get rid of some other fish like a pleco and a jewel for other reasons.

isiah1820 said:
I wouldn't say aggreesion problems, the 2 I'm talking about are the problem and they rarely full on fight. The rest of the tank is fine, yea they chase each other from time to time but there cichlids.

But its a 55, up grading soon as needed. And stock spelling might be off, I am new to fish keeping 2 zebras, 1 lab, 1 female kenyi, 1 ob peacock, 2 acei yellow/white tail,1 johanni, 2 bees, 1 demasoni, 1 arturus and 2 snails lol had this stock for 6-7 months

Ok the problem is the mix and since you've only had them for 6-7 months that's the reason why aggression is just now starting and it will get worse as time goes.

A bigger tank is going to be needed and I wouldn't put it off a whole lot longer if your keeping this stock. You have a very bad mix of aggression in the tank and not the right stocking numbers to tame them.

The first thing I would do is decide do you want mild aggressive, aggressive or an extremely aggressive cichlid tank. Then separate or trade in the ones that don't go according to aggressiveness. Then you need to buy more to up your numbers on each fish. That should calm them down some if you go with an aggressive or extremely tank. A mild tank will be a lot calmer by doing this.

Yea I would like an aggressive tank I admit I was goin off looks and aggression. Like the ob and acei should go. But the so call most aggressive species I have are not dominant so its hit or miss with these fish. so ill find a way to work with it by But I will insure no fish gets killed.

I have decor like flowe pots, Texas holy, Malaysian driftwood, and other decor.

isiah1820 said:
Yea I would like an aggressive tank I admit I was goin off looks and aggression. Like the ob and acei should go. But the so call most aggressive species I have are not dominant so its hit or miss with these fish. so ill find a way to work with it by But I will insure no fish gets killed.

I've seen Cichlids get along for years when they are mixed and then they just start dropping like flys and nobody knows what to do. Sometimes you'll lose most of the stock just trying to figure out witch one it is. Most of the old timers ( not really old) on here will tell you its better to go with a stock that will work by following the rules of stocking than not. Sometimes being understocked doesn't work and a lot of the time being way overstocked doesn't help. The safe zone is best and I believe this from learning from a lot of the more experienced keepers here.

If you need help just let us or me know and ill be glad to help out as much as I can. Good luck :)

Edit
isiah1820 said:
I have decor like flowe pots, Texas holy, Malaysian driftwood, and other decor.

I looked up one of your other thread that had pictures and to me I'd work on some more hiding spots if you haven't already. A lot of rock work will go a long way with these dudes

Last edited:
Yea I been adding Peice by Peice got everything against the back glass and open water in the front. Just got a 55 for free basically so if any one gets outta hand I can re home. Any ideas on what to use for cleaning tanks and equip. The one I got is pretty nasty came with 2 large goldfish that I have no were to put. :/

That's what I was thinking, use the hose for some water pressure also.

...The safe zone is best and I believe this from learning from a lot of the more experienced keepers here...

Andrew is right.

I've seen some amazing combos work out in other folk's tanks. And I've tried dozens of mixes and have had some surprising successes, some quite contrary to the "safe zone". I'm open-minded to irregular combos, and won't hesitate to voice it if I've had luck with a combo or think it may work, with cautionary notes if necessary. On the other hand, I have numerous tanks I can separate fish into if things go south, so I've always had room to experiment.

One thing I can tell ya, without a doubt. Most mbuna species can step their aggression level up a notch to match other species in the tank, but only so far. The combo ya have in yer tank combines too many species of vastly different aggression levels and too few of each species to be successful long term. If ya don't have tanks to separate fish and only have minimal experience with a species, yer best bet is to stick to the "safe zone", as Andrew so succinctly put it.

As for cleaning tanks: vinegar, a razor blade, and a soft bristled brush. In fact, vinegar is the only thing allowed in the fish room for cleaning purposes other than some special soap my wife bought for moppin' the tile floor. No air fresheners, no sprays, no glass cleaners, nothing. Vinegar actually has some anti-microbial/anti-bacterial properties (according to Mrs. WYite the germaphobe).

WYite

Thanks for the replys, but Im def taking u guys advice and will separate when needed. I feel u on the different mixes I guess u can say this is my little experience, so far had some spats no lost lives neither so I def will be keeping a eye on them and go from there its all a work in progress.

One last question for u guys, I have this new 55 would I need to cycle the tank again if I use sand from another tank and filter pads?

isiah1820 said:
Thanks for the replys, but Im def taking u guys advice and will separate when needed. I feel u on the different mixes I guess u can say this is my little experience, so far had some spats no lost lives neither so I def will be keeping a eye on them and go from there its all a work in progress.

One last question for u guys, I have this new 55 would I need to cycle the tank again if I use sand from another tank and filter pads?

Depends on how much bacteria is there but it won't, well shouldn't last long, it's what we call mini cycles. I used some of my filter pads on my pond and it cycled over nite lol

I plan on transferring it right over along with some of the old tank water, and decor.

Back
Top Bottom