Zebras with Labs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are Zebras compatible with Yellow Labs? I know they may cross-breed but no fish will leave my tank. I have a 55 with 6 Yellow Labs.

I successfully keep several types of zebras with yellow labs including Albino Zebras,Red Zebras and Cobalt blue Zebras.The Yellow labs know their place and there is very little squabbling between them.

Boy, Google Images is a terrible place to find pictures of these species. I'm seeing all kinds of things being labeled as Zebras, including Manganos. lol.

Most "zebras" are compatible with yellow labs. Part of the issue with the "zebras" is that they were one of the earliest African mbunas brought in. Many were never properly IDed and as a result many of the early cichlid tanks had crossbreeding occurring between species. Further research has resulted in many of the "zebra" group being reclassified under different species names. Hence a lot of the confusion.

I have red zebras with yellow labs and no issues. The two males seemed to stick with there own, if you have enough females. I just had a brood of yellow labs and no crossbreeding took place.

Back
Top Bottom