10 gal nano tank Updated June 24 - Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I took the plunge and started the nano this weekend . I have the standard 10gal tank with a modded AC110 HOB fuge set up with 100w heater in it . Also have a piece of rock that spent 6 years in a cichlid tank so it should not leech anything out . Waiting to pick up 10 pounds of LR and 5-10 pounds of LS later this week . Went with Instant Ocean salt mix and the tank sits @
SP 1.024
PH 8.3
KH 120 mg/L
no other test made as not started cycle yet .

Here's a pic of the tank with moonlights and the AC110 converted to a HOB fuge . Only thing I had to buy was silicone , But I did put a new impeller and shaft in it .

Attachments

• jan07_111_184.jpg
    jan07_111_184.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,099
  • jan07_101_144.jpg
    jan07_101_144.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 33
The screen for the fuge , and the seperator plates are parts of the media basket cut to fit , the only thing I bought for the fuge was the silicone .

I was going to ask the same question about the screen. You used silicone to hold the screen in place? Good idea. I assume your going to fill the hob filter with lr?

Looks good. Post some more picks when you get your lr!

I was going to ask the same question about the screen. You used silicone to hold the screen in place? Good idea. I assume your going to fill the hob filter with lr?

Looks good. Post some more pics when you get your lr!

The 1st (small) compartment has a sponge/carbon from a small HOB the second (larger) will have LR rubble and microalgae with a light over it on opposite the tank lights .

What light are you going to use for such a small thing? I was thinking of doing the same thing to my hob filters but I can't find a small light.

Well the AC110 is almost 3/4 the length of the 10 gal and you can cut the cover to fit a 23w CF light . Some people will leave the cover off and use a pendent style MH light or desk lamp. I should have the light in the next couple of days and I'll take pics .
I picked up my LR and aragonite today and it's in the tank . I good choice of the rock and all the pieces came from display tanks with fish and lots of life . May have some good hitchhikers even. I have some Fiju and some Tonga tree rock , both were loaded with coraline.

Attachments

• jan07_114_205.jpg
    jan07_114_205.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 24
  • jan07_117_200.jpg
    jan07_117_200.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 996
  • jan07_118_123.jpg
    jan07_118_123.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 999
Ok after day of having a blue-green chromis and a banded coral shrimp in the tank parameters are still on and appears that there was no cycle . will add cleanup crew next week
and possible a couple of corals .

Attachments

• jan07_131_607.jpg
    jan07_131_607.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 20
Tank never had any cycle everything came from est. tank with corals inverts and fish in it - it was display tanks at the LFS.
Checked parameters today
SG 1.024
PH 8.3
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
If I was going to see a spike I should have seen it by now.

That's pretty sweet looking. I had thought about chromis for my 10g but I think I'll be putting some in the 75 when I get it up and running, so I decided to go with things I probably wouldn't put in the 75 for my nano.

I added more lighting today so I now have 2x 23w CF (daylight 1450 lumens)
1 x 18w aticnic (marine-glo) and 1 x 18w 18000K (power-glo) also andded a 13 CF for the fuge and added the cheto to it . Also have 5 Astrea snails in the tank .

img_773859_0_7612a6e0668512a26c8db387fa06d39e.jpg

Well , I made a new canopy for the nano to house the new lights ( have to excuse the algae- pic before PWC/cleaning)
img_775932_0_94f3700832b3981241ca4e197daec505.jpg

Also added a Lawnmower Blenny and he was warned by the Coral Banded Shrimp who owned the main cave , Blenny seems OK with the arrangements now . I found out that the Green Chromis loves Liquidlife marine plakton , goes crazy and the shrimp had his first molt so he seems happy , well fed . Started to see algae on the sand and glass this week , I hope the snails and blenny will take care of it .

Just as a warning, I had a lawnmower that would NOT eat hair algae or much touch the glass, but loved the rocks. He also would only eat live brine shrimp. Keep an eye yours, and try to get it to eat prepared foods now, even if it is eating the algae. They can be tough to care for! I lost mine because it simply starved to death and there was nothing I could do about it, by the time I realized it.

Tank is looking awesome. :)

Thanks for the heads up , I don't think mine has hit sand yet , he stays on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom