10 gallon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zhuber said:
Works for me. The guy at the lfs said when I tested they could of just pissed and since its only ten gallons that could throw it off

That would only throw off the ammonia reading, not the nitrate reading.

Tanks doing good thinking about adding a shrimp or two or maybe even a crab anyone have any input on that?

Tanks doing well bought a coral frag today for five dollars.

Attachments

• image-1850790753.jpg
    image-1850790753.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image-386351715.jpg
    image-386351715.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 89
You can add live rock as long as its wet enough that there won't be any die off...

I always go with live Fiji rock. You get so many organisms if it's fresh. If it's just been shipped I like to drop it into a bucket of tank water with a heater and a pump to deal with die off.

I always go with live Fiji rock. You get so many organisms if it's fresh. If it's just been shipped I like to drop it into a bucket of tank water with a heater and a pump to deal with die off.

I don't have the luxury of the extra tank. My lfs is fifteen minutes away would that effect things or cause a lot of die off ?

Take a bucket of tank water and put the rock in it when you buy It then go straight home and put it straight in and you should be fine. As long as they've cured it.

zhuber said:
I don't have the luxury of the extra tank. My lfs is fifteen minutes away would that effect things or cause a lot of die off ?

I never use an extra tank to cure fresh rock, just a normal bucket. Honestly, I also never bring rock home from the shop wet. I just have em bag it and put some wet newspaper or paper towels over it. Then place the risk in a styrofoam box (most shops have a few for free if you ask). Water transport is the best option but it's just to messy for rock, at least for me.

The only real die off I worry about are sponges. You can see and smell them pretty easily. They're usually black and dead from overseas shipping. Just use a firm toothbrush to get them off of the rock and that will greatly help things. As far as die off goes they're by far the worst offenders. I actually cycle every reef with live rock. It's just one of many options.

Back
Top Bottom